Pelican Island launch spot?

Fishtolive

Pelican Island launch spot?

Post by Fishtolive »

Just like to know if there is legal launch spot for kayak on Pelican Island?
Deeply appreciate for any help.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Pelican Island launch spot?

Post by kickingback »

sent PM
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Just before Sea Wolf Park, there is about 400 yards of "No Parking" signs. 50 - 100 yards before those signs is where many cars park on the side of the road. These are people that wade fish during the flounder run. As you are driving toward SW park right where those cars park, on the right side (ship channel side) there is a huge path. You can launch at the end of that path. I have done it many times but it is brutal if you don't have wheels. If you have a DIY kayak dolly design, make sure it is very strong or it will break. That path is beaten up and will tear up a cheap set of wheels.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Deeply appreciate and Thank you for sharing the info.
And thank you for the caution head up on using the kayak dolly on that path.
I know it will be tough to launch there by yourself.
Thanks Again
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Fishtolive wrote:Deeply appreciate and Thank you for sharing the info.
And thank you for the caution head up on using the kayak dolly on that path.
I know it will be tough to launch there by yourself.
Thanks Again

No problem. If you do decide to hit that area up, PM me your info if you don't mind the company and let's make a trip out of it. I enjoy fishing that area.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

im also interested in getting at that area but like you said that seawolf park area sucks! theres got to be somewhere else to launch from!!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

MobyYack wrote:im also interested in getting at that area but like you said that seawolf park area sucks! theres got to be somewhere else to launch from!!
I've tried to launch from the other side by the ferry but there are some nasty rocks that will scar up your yak if you are not really careful.

The other spot to launch from that I have looked into is the Yacht Basin but that is kind of expensive.

Another option might be to walk the yaks on a kayak dolly up to just before SWP. Look to the left and there is a nice protected beach line (the beach line faces the sunken ship). That walk is not bad but from the moment you look left and step off of the paved road, it's a little bit of a rough spot to get the yaks up to the water. It's not a long walk during the rough patch but the path can be tough to get through. If you are with someone, you can both pick up the yak and walk it to the beach line and that would probably be the best way to go.

No matter what, there is not a good way to do it unless you want to pay SWP and launch inside the park.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

depending on your target maybe launching from the end of the TCD? barges and boats in that area though....conditions would have to be perfect
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you don't mind beach launching try the East End Beach on the road going to East Beach. You can launch there in the channel between jetties and paddle back north to SWP. It's about 1.8 miles from the beach to SWP. Just be careful of large ships using the channel as they throw large wakes.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Yakety_Yak wrote:
MobyYack wrote:im also interested in getting at that area but like you said that seawolf park area sucks! theres got to be somewhere else to launch from!!
I've tried to launch from the other side by the ferry but there are some nasty rocks that will scar up your yak if you are not really careful.

The other spot to launch from that I have looked into is the Yacht Basin but that is kind of expensive.

Another option might be to walk the yaks on a kayak dolly up to just before SWP. Look to the left and there is a nice protected beach line (the beach line faces the sunken ship). That walk is not bad but from the moment you look left and step off of the paved road, it's a little bit of a rough spot to get the yaks up to the water. It's not a long walk during the rough patch but the path can be tough to get through. If you are with someone, you can both pick up the yak and walk it to the beach line and that would probably be the best way to go.

No matter what, there is not a good way to do it unless you want to pay SWP and launch inside the park.
Do they allow us to launch our kayak inside the SWP park?
Don't mind to pay if they allow it.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Fishtolive wrote:
Yakety_Yak wrote:

Do they allow us to launch our kayak inside the SWP park?
Don't mind to pay if they allow it.

SWP has raised their rates to letting people in the park. I think it's like $12 per vehicle and $4 per person in each vehicle. I may be off on that but you may want to call in advance to confirm before going out there.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

a couple weeks back i saw the path yaketyyak described on the right as you approach seawolf. the path was muddy and uneven but carrying a kayak (with two people) was no problem. rolling one on a cart down that path might not be possible
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I think you can launch a yak but there are rocks around the entire park and it will be kind of a pain but can be done. Easier with two people to help each other I bet.
Let us know if they say you can or cannot will ya?