new to offshore kayaking

gmleath

new to offshore kayaking

Post by gmleath »

I am looking to get into offshore kayak fishing. I have everything necessary i was just curious about what kind of bait or lures to use for kingfish. I would be launching out of Galveston/Freeport area and am curious as to what i should use in terms of live/dead bait and lures. I am also wondering where to fish. Do most people fish around jetties or do they try and find structure close to shore? I have never fished offshore from kayak and all input is appreciated!
Noeafpj9

Re: new to offshore kayaking

Post by Noeafpj9 »

First off welcome to the btb fishing scene. When you say you have all items needed. Just a word of caution, make sure safety is paramount. Items that would be needed are as follow: good quality pfd( something that will get the job done and keep you comfortable), a good water proof vhf radio (ensure you know how to use it), all required coast guard boating safety items. Always try to go out with someone experienced your first few times. Now for lures/baits, you can search great topics with plenty of amazing setups, rigs and lures. Just click on the search box and type in key words. I personally troll with king rigs with a shiny skirt and ribbon fish, ballyhoo and mullet. Large rattle traps and lures like rapala and other divers work well. I'm sure someone will chime in as far as fishing locations go in Galveston. I fish in corpus and personally I feel that we have it made seeing how we have rigs located so close to shore. I hope you enjoy your time out on the water. But just stay safe and don't become a statistic.
Greatnesswithin

Post by Greatnesswithin »

^^^ what he said
el_pescador_eric

Post by el_pescador_eric »

If you are searching for Kings out of a kayak, my advice would be to head down to Corpus. It's well worth the drive time.