Pa12 vs Outback

Jgolden79

Pa12 vs Outback

Post by Jgolden79 »

Hey guys I need some help with making a decision. Which is a better all around yak for BTB to back bays to ICW? I really want a PA but read that they pretty much suck offshore and re-entry. Any advice would be great. Thanks
holy_mackrel

Re: Pa12 vs Outback

Post by holy_mackrel »

Just to be clear I have never used or owned the PA12 , however I own 2 outbacks and have BTB'd with them quite a bit. The Outback has 2 clear advantages in my opinion.. the first is price and the second,(the most important to me) is WEIGHT. I would hate to ever drag any of the PA models though sugar sand , cart or no cart.

There's my 2 cents! :mrgreen:
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

holy_mackrel wrote:Just to be clear I have never used or owned the PA12 , however I own 2 outbacks and have BTB'd with them quite a bit. The Outback has 2 clear advantages in my opinion.. the first is price and the second,(the most important to me) is WEIGHT. I would hate to ever drag any of the PA models though sugar sand , cart or no cart.

There's my 2 cents! :mrgreen:
It's quite easy to drag the PA14 with the Hobie cart. In fact, I prefer to park my trailer and put the cart under to take it to the boat ramp or sand shore. :D

IMO, the advantage of the Outback for BTB and skinny water is that it cuts water better than the PA, meaning you can beat peddling a PA using the Outback. Another difference is the nose of the PA plows through the waves, so you kind of get very wet on rough seas.

Being a bigger boat you will have a harder time to recover from a turtle. I don't know much about this since in that department I have still to turtle in any kayak since 2010 and counting.... :lol:

Benefit of the PA, comfort, stability, space, weight capacity, etc...

Get a trailer as soon as you get a PA or say goodbye to your back! It's heavy heavy! I usually drive my trailer into the water and let the PA float into it. I'm in/out of the water and ready to go home in 10 minutes. Heck...get a trailer even if you don't get a PA! I got it after suffering from a locked back from paddling over 7 straight hours with my RIDE115 and I have never regret my decision to buy it vs. having to load on top of my old Pathfinder.

Both great boats.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I would do the Outback. A few things I have noticed on the PA...... The PA is a awesome yak but if it flips, and that is a very unlikely if, it's merely impossible to flip it back over.

Another issue I have noticed with the PA is if the conditions are less than desirable for a BTB trip on a day you decide to fish but you go out anyway, I have seen where just getting through the surf can absolutely wear you out. For every 5' you make it, you are being pushed back 10'.

The Outback in my opinion is the better choice. Don't get me wrong, the are both great yaks. The Outback is very light in comparison to the PA. Weight could be a deciding factor for you.

Eitherway..... it's good you are on here asking questions to better your decision on what yak to get. I wish you well on your decision and look forward to seeing you out on the water soon.

btw.... You may want to get Mythman's thoughts on the PA. He has one.
Jgolden79

Post by Jgolden79 »

Thanks, any other opinions are great. I am actually building a 4 yak trailer as we speak. I currently have a Native Slayer 14.5 and love it but would rather peddle than paddle on most of the fishing I do. I have not had it in the surf yet so I may be jumping the gun a little, but I've heard it's a little big and heavy for the surf. Any options on that as well??
TxTitan

Post by TxTitan »

Outback!! I'd get the 2015 outback if I were you! I have an outback and love it for both bays and btb, well I'm partial with it in the bays. The mirage drive can get annoying in shallow water, the outback doesn't track as straight paddling it, would be interesting if Hobie had two means of rudder control, the hand control and perhaps foot control!

In the end I'm still a fan of the outback, for me personally the pros out weigh the cons.

Good luck
eclipse504

Post by eclipse504 »

Last edited by eclipse504 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
chironomid

Post by chironomid »

The difference has been the seat. Now that the 2015 outback will have a seat, I'd go outback.

If you can drive to the water with a trailer, the PA is nice. If you have to drag or pull it any distance, especially through dry sand / over a dune, it's brutal.
Jgolden79

Post by Jgolden79 »

Eclipse504- Are you talking a 12' or 14', or both?
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

I've had outbacks and several PA's. After a few trips in the pa it got to where I wouldn't use the outback at all. I sold the outbacks and have only fished out of a 14' pa the last few years. Its no problem getting through the surf unless its really rough. Once your fishing in the bay or btb its a big stable fishing machine. I have no problems loading it in the bed of my pickup with the hobie cart
Snipershrk

Post by Snipershrk »

First and foremost I should say that I have a trailer for my yaks, a 4x4, And no opinion on the OB. If I have to lug a kayak any considerable distance I can easily find a better launch lol. I fish out of my pa12 85% of the time, revo 13 10%, and FishN'Dive 5%. The first thing that goes through my mind when I sit in anything other than the PA is, this sucks...

As far as the surf is concerned, I always come in Parris hilton style without a hitch. It always gets me why people try to paddle the PA through the surf. I use the peddles to assist going in and out. I get that sucker moving and it's like a Nimitz class carrier busting through the surf! Sometimes it's the best part of the day :lol:

Just my 2cents... And those two pennies are old and corroded...
Jgolden79

Post by Jgolden79 »

I really appreciate all the responses. So now that it's a split decision what about the PA14 offshore and in the surf? Does that extra weight help or hinder you? Thanks again.
eclipse504

Post by eclipse504 »

PA14 is a beast on land and a beast in the surf re-entry. If a wave picks the boat up and starts turning you, you are gonna have a hard time trying to counter as its a big boat to steer. Thats why you gotta paris hilton in and punch through the waves as they come at you. If you ever turtle, it will definitely be a chore to get it upright. I'm speaking generally of rough conditions. Calm conditions you can come back in fine. But the advantage you get is space and speed. Its a fast boat and you can carry lots of stuff on it and not feel cramped.

PA12 is much more manageable on land and water. You still will get picked up by waves from the rear, so you have to follow the same rules. Except you can better control the kayak bc its smaller. I can easily lift this kayak by myself and manage it, but the PA14 is for the really big boys.

Outback is better in the surf bc its more of a traditional kayak shape. You sit lower in it more than the PA and its very stable. But you dont have a lot of deck space, so you need to find a place for everything you are planning to use. Lightest of the kayaks you mentioned, but very wet ride.

Hope that helps.
Jgolden79

Post by Jgolden79 »

Perfect Eclipse. I just wasn't sure about the re-entry with the PA. Coming in backwards (or "Paris Hilton" I'm assuming) is easy enough. I want the space yet still be able to bay/skinny water fish. Thanks again.