TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

Do you have a rant or topic that is not fishing/hunting/kayak related? Post it here.
By Barnacle Bill
Fisherman's Prayer

I pray that I may live to fish
Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
And peacefully asleep
That in His mercy I be judged
Big enough to keep.

Our friends will be missed.

First, let me say that redloon hit us all hard. He was a great guy with a great sense of humor who we all respected...

I think, that we should retire those avatars and respect those folks for who they were, what they contributed and how they would like to think of us remembering them....

Cody aka fishlover was another good one and he was 19 and died on Easter Sunday in 2006...
fishlover
TKF 1000 Club

Location: Etoile Tx. (Lake Sam Rayburn) Piney Woods of East Texas

Cody was a kiddo full of life and it was such a shock. We PM'd many times about fishing my home waters on Rayburn and my grandparents house on Anna Beth street up there...

fishlover wrote:
Barnacle Bill wrote:
Electric Water Boy wrote:You get it caught, Bill will fire up the pot, and I'll be there ready to eat.

Bet 26' could feed the whole bunch of us on here.

You know it bubba!! I could clean that sucker in 2 shakes of a nun's butt and have it dipped in milk, breaded in some crumbs and spices and fried up with marinara sauce on the side so good that would make your tongue slap your brain before you could say "calimari".. :wink:

Spoken by a true redneck YEEHAW :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

He reminds me so much of Randall...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sixgun was a guy who posted mostly on the TKFSA board and died of cancer.. Daniel never had an avatar but he was a good dude... One of his last posts...

Barnacle and Brujo, thanks for the advice.

I had a bad day yesterday and I think I let it spoil my attitude. There is a certain freedom I feel knowing that I have cancer and there is nothing I can do to change that fact. I spent the day today with my children and my ex (we went to see Cars). It was a good day and even though I may have been more tired than I would have in the past, I realized that life still goes on. Looking around me at other parents with their children, I wondered how many of them realize how important their spending time with them really is. I have a friend who is a new father at 40 to a soon to be 1 yr old, he still hasn't learned that part of being a father is being there. I love my kids and always hug and kiss them and tell them so. I know my father loves me, but he was never very demonstrative. I think for Fathers Day, all fathers should make it a point to show and tell their children they love them. I am living my life day to day now, but I am going to make sure I enjoy every day and I am not going to give up fighting. One thing I have found already is the simple joy in looking out on this beautiful world God has made, I don't think I have ever felt the joy in beauty so fully as I do now. I want to make sure I share this feeling and view with my children. I want them to always see this beauty in the world and those they love.

Happy Fathers Day to all you Fathers!!

Barnacle, I am praying for you too that you have a successful resolution to your health issues.

God Bless,

Daniel

redloon.... We may never have met him personally, but we knew him through his posts here and it really hurts... Like Daniel and Cody hurt us because they are not around now....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greyloon passed away on 10-12-08. He was a long time member and one of the most knowledgeable fishermen on TKF. He was a solid contributor on the freshwater board and had a stringer full of catfish when he passed away.

R.I.P. amigo..

A link to his posts:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... r=greyloon

By Barnacle Bill

Greyloon Memorial Safari trip on the Brazos:

Strider wrote:Several of us fellow TKFers met up at the Falls on the Brazos park this weekend to remember our fallen brother Greyloon, aka Jerry Fletcher. Mythman, Fla-fish, Randy (and junior paddling partner Tristen :)), Beve and I spent the night at the park Friday night. I went downstream for a few hours of after dark action, but came up with only 3 blues, nothing big. The next morning we awoke to a damp and chilly morning, drank coffee, ate breakfast and warmed ourselves at the nice fire. bowgarguide, Hunter and Beljason showed up, and then Jerry's wife Myrtie, grandson Drake, son Andrew and girlfriend Cindy, and son Curtis joined the group. We all (except for Myrtie and Drake, who stayed back to tour the big city of Marlin) saddled up for a paddle from the Hwy 7 bridge down to the falls (about 5 miles).

Several of us fished on the way down, but there were no takers :( The weather was very nice for a late November day, and the north wind gave us a little push on our way to the park. The last mile was the toughest spot, where low water kept us pushing off with our paddles, portaging and dodging shallow spots (don't feel bad Mythman, I spent plenty of time "stuck"!).

After arriving at the park, we were happy to see Gerald and our old buddy Captain Gorton pull up! We loaded up the boats and met at the pavillion, where we had a very reverent and moving memorial service. Beve presented Myrtie with a nice plaque he made which showed 2 pics of Greyloon flanking a TKF sticker. I hope he has a pic of it he can post.

After the memorial service we adjourned to the river, where Andrew and Curtis floated a bouquet of flowers downstream in memory of their father as the sun was setting. Again, this was a very moving experience for all of us.

Then it was time to start cooking :D Gerald grilled up hamburgers and bratwurst while the gang snacked on Mythman's tasty venison summer sausage :D . I fried up some catfish and potatoes and we all enjoyed a great meal and time of fellowship with the family and each other. Afterward we went to the campsite and cozied up the the fire while telling fish stories and watching Curtis and Cindy roast marshmellows. I don't know what time we all hit the sack but it was late, and the coyotes and owls had already started their midnight serenade. It made me think of the first mini-safari with Greyloon when we all listened to coyotes while camping on the riverbank :)

I am sure Jerry is happy to know he had friends who appreciated him so much. His family misses him, but they now have a whole new circle of friends. I hope we can get together each year so we keep his and other of our much missed TKF friends in mind.

My camera was acting up, and I did not get many pics :( Hopefully others can post some up.

Andrew, Curtis and Cindy on the Brazos

Some of the crew - from left to right, Randy and Tristan, Beljason, bowgarguide, Mythman, Fla-fish, Beve, Curtis and Cindy.

A shot of the many boats (Hunter standing on the left)

Kim
By Tombo
I really liked that folks celebrate the life of a friend. Hope folks do the same for me.
By Daddy-O
I'd like to add Titowoody. I didn't know him but he had some good posts, was quick to help and was humorous. He died kayak fishing in Nov 2007.
By Reelworld
I lost my best friend. He was 33. Reading these posts make me feel good to have had such a friend. Life can be hard to take sometimes. It's hard, but being appreciative of the time you had with them is what is important. Every day is precious.
By Barnacle Bill
let's go wrote:Rest in peace Amigo

Barry's Dad

"Flycasting is as easy as fly soup"

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 0&t=125369

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 0&t=137803

That one hits in the heart. Old Al was truly a great guy and I enjoyed his classes. I fished with him a few times on the Guad and remember him and Barry, on a COLD morning after fishing the Guad, betting on who could lay out 110' of line...... Then we had some chopped brisket sandwiches and talked..... Al was really one of the truly original good guys and I am heart sick over his passing...
By Mrs Backlasher
I've been off here for so long that I didn't know Al had died. What a shock.

Al was one of the best story-tellers I've ever known. Here's my favorite that I related in 2006:

===============================================================

Here is my 11,000th post, and I'll dedicate it to Al Crise, aka Barry's Dad on TKF. Here's his post from way back, and it's one of the funniest posts I've ever read:

Some of you newer folks may not know "Barry's Dad." (BTW, he really isn't Barry's dad.) He lives in Glen Rose, Texas. Anyway, here's the story he posted here 2 years ago, and it's a classic!

Mrs. B
===============================================================

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:25 pm Post subject: Dumb things to do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Howdy Gang.

Some times we hear of something that works well for someone. Other times we only get the idea that thing done were some what DUMB.
So Here are a few of the Dumb things that I know of.

My Son Barry will tell you about a Lighthouse Lakes Crab that took off the end of his fly rod. It happened so fast that Barry just looked at the place where there was a guide left, dumbfounded. It had been there just a second before. All he did was try to change the Crabs route a little.

Me I do things in a bigger way.

I was fishing on Florida's west coast for reds with a guide. The guide kept chuming an area to see if he could get a red fish within range. Now this worked fairly well.

So the next time I got to AP I was ready. I had bought a couple of cans of cheap Cat Food. You know that kind that leaves the smell of low tide's dead fish in the house for days. Yea that kind. Pink label with a little kitty licking his lips.

I paddled out of the Brown and Root side of the Causway. Out on the flat west of the bridge. maybe 200 yards. Staked out my kayak and waded a little more to get away from the noise the waves were making on the hull.
I opened the can by punching some holes in it. Tied a rope to it. and let it swing in the water from my wader belt. Now I was ready to make that one cast to the fish that would be coming up the chum slick that was drifting off to the west. Watching for the shadows that I was sure would come to me. All I had to do was just wait.

The wait was not long when the first of the Blue CRABS showed up. Yep that was what I saw First. Second. Third, Fourth, Where did they all come from. Dozen of them were all coming my way. Some were over 15 inches from claw to claw. Now I did not see any reds or any other fish. All I saw was CRABS. Boy can they move side ways fast. So I started backing up then Faster. Dummy me I still had the cat food hanging from my waist. Trying to untie it was a joke in it's self the can kept swing around and I kept turning to keep my eye on the hoards of CRABS. Not letting my rod touch the water. Remember the Barry Story?

I did not want to just toss the can out on the flat. My 'clean water conservation' side kicked in. So I held it above the water. RIGHT letting it drain.

Now there were CRABS that would stall an outboard by just grabbing the prop. I was making a hasty retreat to the kayak. I boarded in one fast leap. Still holding the cat food can above the water.

Ok now I can set the can down in the bottom of the kayak. with the holes up. Now I will tell you that every CRAB on B&R flat was looking at my little kayak. I pulled up the stake I had stuck in the scupper hole through the bottom and made ready to leave. OOPs Forgot I had the anchor out just in case. So I pulled up the anchor. Now the rocking had up-set the cat food can. It was spilling it's stinky contents on the bottom of the SOT kayak. Not to worry it will drain.

Right now I had more CRABS than I knew were in all the Gulf of Mexico right under my kayak. There were smaller crabs coming up through the scupper holes. RIGHT BETWEEN MY LEGS.... Was it better in the water or in the boat???? How high can you sit in a kayak? What did I have to defend myself. Anchor. fishing rod, rope, paddle, stake, barehands..
Well the paddle was the best choice I could scoop them out. Put my plug in and be safe. Where was that plug? Well if you think that swinging a kayak paddle as a shovel is easy while sitting in a boat full of CRABS it is not.

I ran out of words before the last of the 'pincher of death' were sent over the side. Stroke stroke stroke I was fast leaving the area. The can was rolling around in the bottom most of its contents were just slopping around making the smell something close to the back door of the fishhouse. Stoke Stroke Stroke. Still the smell was almost over powering.

Now with the Texas summer sun shining into the yak my head was swumming. I was getting the feeling that there was something following me. Looking over my shoulder I did not see a thing but the slick I was leaving. Above my head were screams of the Gulls lots of sea gulls. As they fed on the bits and pieces that were washing off the kayak where I had dripped the cat food. Remeber the Hickcock Film the BIRDS????

Now that I was near the launch area I was feeling some what better. I stopped got out and washed off the boat, me and the can. Cleaned as best I could every last drop off. Then before the scent could spread I paddled in. leaving the CRABS and Birds to fight for the morsels I had left for them.

Yep another good Idea gone BAD.

ol Al"
By Tombo
Just goes to show me that some folks will never be forgotten. Al Crise lived doing what he enjoyed, think I will make some changes. Time my wife needs to live out some of her dreams.
By Barnacle Bill
Lyndon Young aka Camping yakker passed away on March 23, 2011. He was a long time member and good ol' west Texas guy out here in Big Spring..

Last visited: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Interests: fishing,camping(rving),geocaching

He volunteered with the Texas Marine Stranding Network and you could see that he really enjoyed what he did..

Camping Yakker wrote:Link to site http://www.tmmsn.org/

Camping Yakker wrote:Wondered if ya'll could help the Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network that I volunteer for by voting daily in November or whenever you think of it (only one vote each day - but you can actually vote twice if you vote on the internet and then again by texting) for a grant from Pepsi. This saving dolphins in the Gulf Coast program is a non-profit organization based in Galveston that is working hard to recover from their entire rescue having been destroyed in Hurricane Ike. After the hurricane and the oil spill in the Gulf, this organization saved hundreds of dolphins with no monies from any government agency.

The program competed unsuccessfully for the Pepsi grant funding in October and are able to compete again in November. The winner is determined totally by voting over the internet or cell phone texting. I have attached the most recent email from the organization for your reference. Can you help this worthwhile program by voting? Ask your friends to vote. Thanks for helping.

Hop on their website to see some of the work that this organization does to save dolphins:

Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network

Like a lot of TKF'ers, he didn't post a lot but the posts he did make said something. His brother his Capn Crunch and our hearts go out to him and his family. You can tell from the picture how much he enjoyed life and having his best friend along for the ride while Lyndon did all the work, LOL..

R.I.P. Amigo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Chief Brody
As you may know by now, Terry G passed away on the 9th of March, 2012. He was a member on this board for several years, and among the many interests he had (that I know of), he was an excellent artist, he built custom rods, he was an amateur radio operator, a very knowledgeable and successful fisherman, and was a funny and creative writer. He had about 600 posts on TKF, and was very active on 2CF as well. I searched around some to find some of his funnier posts - and found this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=147729

This thread is the one I first started to talk to Terry on, and I'll warn you that it's one of the longest on TKF, about fishing at the BNC, but it features quite of few posts by Terry about fishing, dogs, radios, and life in general. Anyone out there wants to read a little about him, this is a good place to do it. You can see his avatar on his posts - it's one of his original art pieces. Many of those pen and ink drawings are posted on his website at: http://www.terry-g.net/ink/

Eventually I got to meet Terry and his wife Carol at their home when I went to pick up a custom piece I had asked him to do for Yakke-T's birthday. What a neat couple - together over 30 years and obviously in love and happy together. I asked Terry to do an original of the lighthouse at Bolivar, just the picture no frame - but when he gave it to me it was framed (by his wife) - she said it needed to be framed to be a special present.

here it is from his web site:

boliver 006A.jpg

I feel fortunate to have met Terry and his wife. The world is a little less interesting now that he is gone.

RIP Terry G.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Barnacle Bill
Terry was a great guy. I never met him personally but he was not just a member of 2CF and TKF but also a member of CCCF fishing site. His artwork is beautiful and it's a rare talent to combine his love of outdoors with such wonderful talents to bring a drawing or painting to life.
By Barnacle Bill
Well, this is a particularly hard one to post...

Our friend Kenneth "Bluffer" Holmes...

Kenneth James Holmes
October 14, 1958 - December 7, 2012

R.I.P. Bluffer

Last visited: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:51 pm
Total posts: 10036

04 model (dry butt version) O.K. Drifter
Mothership- 17ft aquasport, 90hp evinrude.
Teamoso member-Hardcore wade fishing. http://www.teamoso.com
Texas hold-em shootout 3rd runner up, 2002 Buc days.

Bluffer had been around TKF and the other boards for many years. He had a great sense of humor and was a good all around person.

Here are some links:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=188862

http://www.corpusfishing.com/messageboa ... hp?t=25052

I'll post his obituary once it is in the paper.

If you'd like to donate to help his family cover the medical expenses and such, I've included a link.

http://www.gofundme.com/Kenny-Bluffer-Holmes

Memorial page:

http://www.seasidefuneral.com/obituarie ... ributeWall

Obituary for Kenneth James HolmesKenneth James “Bluffer” Holmes, age 54, passed away on Friday, December 7, 2012.

Kenneth was born on October 14, 1958. He graduated from Flour Bluff High School in Corpus Christi. He served in the U.S. Navy. Kenneth was employed by Sears for 20 years as an A C Technician. Kenneth enjoyed participation in gardening, fishing, barbecuing, watching the Cowboys play and NASCAR racing. Kenneth was a dedicated member of Team Oso for over nine years.
Kenneth will always be remembered for his helping of others, and putting others before himself. He was a loving husband, father and grandfather.

Kenneth is preceded in death by his father Kenneth E. Holmes.

Kenneth is survived by his loving and devoted wife of 30 years Dorothy, daughters, Melissa (Waylan) Miller, Stephanie (Anthony Chaffin) Holmes, granddaughter, Madalynn Marie Chaffin, stepmother, Lina Holmes, nieces, Kimberlee Mincey and Shannon Boler sister-in-law Sandy (Bruce) Pyle and Cathy (Roy) Barfield, father-in-law Marvin Deutsch.

Visitation will be held from 5:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at Seaside Funeral Home. A Funeral Service will be held at Real Life Corpus 1241 Flour Bluff Drive on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 1:00 P.M.

Interment to follow at Duncan Cemetery.
By Barnacle Bill
R.I.P. Mudman.

You were a long time member of TKF and your posts always had significance..

Last visited: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm
Total posts: 284

Retired November 5th, 2014.

I lost one of my best friends today. He collapsed today from what we believe was a major heart attack. The doctors tried their best but it was just his time to be called up and his body gave in. He had co-workers that tried to revive him and never left his side. We are grateful for their efforts and love. Kyle was my father-n-law, a great man, a man's man, a friend, a husband, a father, a papa, a brother and a son. He would give anything he could to help anyone in need, friend or stranger. He did an awesome job of looking after his family, making sure they we're protected and well cared for in case this day ever had to come. I will always appreciate the time he took with my kids to show them he loved them, that he was interested in what they enjoyed in life and gave attention to those areas where he felt he could make them better in life. We will miss you Kyle and your family and friends will always love you. We know your in good hands in a better place now.

For those that know him, I will have funeral services info soon. PM me or call me for info if needed. It will be in Houston.

Troy Robinson
Bull Reds in the Marsh | Video

Last week we hit the marsh and came across a schoo[…]

Thoughts on on-the-water eats –

If you are fishing near Palacios, a Bahn Mi from T[…]

West Bay Drum Beat –

Appreciate the report!

Such a beautiful creature! Thanks for taking the t[…]