TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

Do you have a rant or topic that is not fishing/hunting/kayak related? Post it here.
It's either "where's your honey hole" post or "be sure to like and subscribe to my channel so I can get sponsorships"

Team Ocean kayak, us at JerryB's and Team Kingz just did videos and posted them here. YouTube was just a tool to upload video out get our names out. Seems like every kayak I see has a video mount on it now days.

Also I think folks way they fish or drive slows down or they get tired of dealing with trolls too, hell who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My sense also is that kayak fishing has gone from being about using a kayak to catch fish to being about "being a kayak fisherman, bro!" That goes hand-in-hand with the proliferation of Facebook and ego-driven, sponsor-seeking blogs that are all about me me ME MEEE and my attempts to land rat reds and stunted trout, bro!
Witness: $50.00 for a #%*'n milk crate?!

Traffic has really gone down...I check about once a week used to check daily, I really like to hear fishing reports were I can learn something, if their is video I just skip over although I don't mind a few pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A thought or three...

1) Traffic on boards like TKF is down everywhere - people just have so many more choices to connect these days - FB, instagram, twitter, etc. I'm on a gun owner board, a bbq board - and they are experiencing the same downturn, and the same conversations asking what happened to the traffic. No clear answers out there either other than FB.

2) Quite a few of the oldtimers that posted here several times a day don't. I don't know why - ask the gay pirate and some of the others. Those folks kept the conversations going - and started some almost every day. It was fun, it felt like a brotherhood to be a part of it. Hell, I remember reading pages about a picnic table. Those posts, and their conversations, seem to have vanished.

3) This new format. For me, it just doesn't work as well. I have been a daily reader for years - but not anymore. Today is the first time I've been on in a week or so - and the distance between visits is growing. I was even known to post a thing or two - if we were in the old format you would be able to see that - for what it's worth - but it's not obvious anymore. Or how long someone has been on the board - that was important to me - if I saw comments from someone who joined in 2005 I was much more inclined to read what they had to say - I usually it carried some weight as well. The way things are laid out isn't intuitive like the old format, I don't think it's as easy to read, and I can't figure out from looking at the listings which thread I've made a comment in - I like to know that so I can scroll down to see if anyone has commented back. I don't like it - and as an almost old guy I tend to be resistant to change - I know that about my self - but after trying a dozen or so times, I'm just not sure I'm coming back very often.

my .02
Chief - as for your comment "I can't figure out from looking at the listings which thread I've made a comment in - I like to know that so I can scroll down to see if anyone has commented back."

In the upper left you will find a "Search" tab (next to "Forum"). Click on that and you will see a link to "Your posts" in the drop down menu. Click on "Your posts" and it'll take you where ya want to go.

See ya!
Chief, I would sure hate to see you go!

Yeah, there used to be a lot of goofing around on here, especially here on the off topic forum. Guys just horsing around acting like....friends. I miss it and give it a try every once in a while, but it's dead.

Not a fan of the new format either.
It's definitely frustrating with the decline in activity, and I agree with Chief, this isn't the only place. I've been on here nearly daily for the last eight years, but have noticed my frequency becoming less and less. A lot of the main instigators of fun have moved on, or forced in time out, or haven't been in a kayak in years and the forum was more of a social thing as opposed to yaks or fishing. I try and post up fishing trips, camping trips, and vids as much as I can, even though I can't get out like I want. For those who also do that know how much time and effort it can take. And when you get little to no response at all after all your efforts, it's hard to get motivated to go to all that trouble. I just always enjoyed giving someone a break from the daily grind for a few little bits and take them along on our trip, like so many had done for me. So yeah, it sucks, this place not being the first thing that gets opened in the morning like before. But that's just how things go. I don't mind change at all, it's inevitable, and maybe the change to the look of the site was to try and rejuvenate a declining forum, I don't know. I personally don't care for it. Not just the look, but the functionality of it. But if it helps bringing in folks and more posts, then i'll deal with it.

I still read BB's ramblings on facebook, and meet up with Bigrock every few weeks at the end of the chips and soda aisle at HEB. I still yak, fish, photo, write, and laugh at my own farts. I guess some things don't change. :D
I was talking with Dean about the traffic and changes on Tkf the other day. We were taking about the uptick in water traffic on b and r and how the reds don't go there as much. And we were to blame with reports and pix of cool reds tailing. Now you can't go there on a Wednesday without four other yaks there. Also you could post a pix on the saltwater page with conditions and a I went fishing post. Last time I did that I was told to post in reports. I remember the team ocean pix of the day. Or today with slow ride or Kingz. And then last I blame my generation. We take a lot and don't give back. Everything has to be epic and over the top. I do agree this new format is challenging to navigate. I hope that things will pick up when the summer comes around. Also miss the old Tkf vs oso salt days. Just my thoughts on this. I could be wrong.
While stepping down memory lane
3rd Coast POC leg
A JerryB's demo day at Bluff's landing
Back before yeti tumblers became the "it" cup
Tombo and JerryB at a TKF vs. OSO tourney
Purpletexan and Jerry, 3rd Coast Corpus leg
Think this was after a B&R/LHL cleanup
Back when everybody was tagging each other's rides at launch sites

I agree with most of the previous comments.

No offence to anyone but here are my thoughts-

-This format is the worst of any website I can think of. It is not easy on the eyes as someone mentioned. It is stark and harsh. Hard to even look at let alone stay.
-Like any business, it is either growing or fading away. This site is not growing by a long shot.
-I agree with the comment about the "off topic" forum being the driver to many websites. In this new format, I visited the site numerous times before I realized that the Off Topic forum even existed any longer.
-A lot of men are not on facebook. I visited the TKF facebook page for the first time after reading this thread...I think? There are numerous unrelated facebook sites using "TKF" and there are numerous using Texas Kayak Fisherman- the main one in my search was private. None use the logo I am used to. All dilute and splinter the membership further.

-Barnacle Bill was a real value here. His stories and posts were a hoot and kept me coming back all by themselves. Were he here though now, I don't know that my eyes could handle reading his entertaining posts on this stark background.

-Though not the case with many of you, I think that the majority of people in the kayaking world begin as waders, then extend the area that they can access to wade by buying a kayak, and ultimately, they upgrade further to a boat. Therefore, there is a window of time that the average person is a dedicated kayak fisherman. Not all but most of those people ultimately graduate and move on. Those posters must be replaced by new members. Most all of the posters I recall posting frequently were members from 2004 or before (back when there was a website relaunch or redesign if I recall), when kayaks first became really popular for fishing. Those old time members came largely at one time when we were all searching for info on this newly popular sport. Everyone was excited about kayaking and it was all new to us. As many have moved on or aged out, I don't see the new folks coming in numbers or staying. Not to kayaking, but to this site.

Absent the sport's newness that brought so many of us in one fell swoop in the early 2000's it would seem as though a real effort would be needed to attract new members, and to constantly do so as those members graduate out of kayak fishing.

Hopefully things will revert to a more readable format and another Barnacle Bill will come around and rally the troupes with wild stories of new careers, new towns, past lives, and all that good stuff.
In order to keep members and even save this site- One thought I'd consider besides the previously mentioned expansion of an off topic forum would be a section dedicated to skiffs or boats.
Sure some of you admirable seniors still paddle better than I ever did, if an undeniable percentage of folks move on from kayaks, why force them off the site and on to another site?
I'd say that either increased efforts are needed to constantly add new members to this site of those folks who are new to kayaking, before they move on to boats, and/or a forum dedicated to those that do move on from kayaks is needed to maintain membership.
I first registered on TKF in 2003. I use to post a lot, but not anymore. As I'm now retired, age has caught up with me with respect to a kayak's physical weight. I started having lower back problems and I just couldn't move my yak around on dry land like I used to. What was easy became a back breaking chore.

So, I decided to sell my old 55 pound SPTW yak and move on to something lighter in weight. After doing lots of research, I got into standup paddle boarding (SUP). I've learned how to fish and crab from it too. But, I do mostly flat water paddling on my subdivision's private lake where I live and also flat water paddling on lake Conroe and Woodlands.

I surf the beachfront waves using my sup too since it came with 5 fin setup (which is called a "quad +1"). I usually do my wave surfing down at Galveston Island's 43rd Street Jetty, on the Bolivar Peninsula and at Surfside next to the Quintana Jetties. BTW, my sup only weighs 17 pounds which is very easy on my lower back.

I now hang out on a SUP site named, "The Standup Zone". On the Zone site, there are a lot of people who are in the 50's, 60's and 70's. They post many good videos from where they live and it covers the entire United States. The forum software is much better than this new TKF forum software too. The link to the Zone site forums is below if you're interested.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/
ecofly wrote:I agree with most of the previous comments.

No offence to anyone but here are my thoughts-

-This format is the worst of any website I can think of. It is not easy on the eyes as someone mentioned. It is stark and harsh. Hard to even look at let alone stay.
-Like any business, it is either growing or fading away. This site is not growing by a long shot.
-I agree with the comment about the "off topic" forum being the driver to many websites. In this new format, I visited the site numerous times before I realized that the Off Topic forum even existed any longer.
-A lot of men are not on facebook. I visited the TKF facebook page for the first time after reading this thread...I think? There are numerous unrelated facebook sites using "TKF" and there are numerous using Texas Kayak Fisherman- the main one in my search was private. None use the logo I am used to. All dilute and splinter the membership further.

-Barnacle Bill was a real value here. His stories and posts were a hoot and kept me coming back all by themselves. Were he here though now, I don't know that my eyes could handle reading his entertaining posts on this stark background.

-Though not the case with many of you, I think that the majority of people in the kayaking world begin as waders, then extend the area that they can access to wade by buying a kayak, and ultimately, they upgrade further to a boat. Therefore, there is a window of time that the average person is a dedicated kayak fisherman. Not all but most of those people ultimately graduate and move on. Those posters must be replaced by new members. Most all of the posters I recall posting frequently were members from 2004 or before (back when there was a website relaunch or redesign if I recall), when kayaks first became really popular for fishing. Those old time members came largely at one time when we were all searching for info on this newly popular sport. Everyone was excited about kayaking and it was all new to us. As many have moved on or aged out, I don't see the new folks coming in numbers or staying. Not to kayaking, but to this site.

Absent the sport's newness that brought so many of us in one fell swoop in the early 2000's it would seem as though a real effort would be needed to attract new members, and to constantly do so as those members graduate out of kayak fishing.

Hopefully things will revert to a more readable format and another Barnacle Bill will come around and rally the troupes with wild stories of new careers, new towns, past lives, and all that good stuff.

I still peruse from time to time. I've been doing a lot of other writing on the book and screenplays and trying to find a way to enjoy retirement. I got out and did some fishing, adopted a wild mustang from the BLM that I spent 2 months training and still go out to see Bigrock and family from time to time.

The internet is just getting bigger and bigger. When TKF, 2Cool, CCCF and others first started, there wasn't a lot of information out there on kayaking. People started really getting into it about 2000 and TKF was the master class site. If you had a question about kayak fishing, you came here. If you wanted to know surf updates, it was 2Cool.. If you wanted to know Surfside/Galveston, it was CCCF. Then there was the newbies vs the grumpy old bastards. Then there were the guys who had owned a kayak for 2 months and were going to be the next great kayak fishing guides and wanted all kinds of sponsors. Then we had sponsors on almost every post and it became predictable. You knew in some sections you were going to see stringers of 3 Redfish on post after post. Then it was BTB. Then a lot of near-shore started up. Now there is all the info out there in the world just using "Google". TKF went from being the living room in the house to being the den. It's just the nature of the beast. Families grow, kids move off. I like coming back here and reading others exploits a couple of times a week but don't have much to post these days. Life is no longer the party that it used to be although there are still adventures out there.

get yourself pescador sport 12' or smth slightly w[…]

Recently, I missed a few fish outings because of c[…]

Happy with my storage and last weekend I was in Fl[…]

2017 Lone Star Kayak Series

looks like a whole lot of wind but no rain till th[…]