Ocean Kayak Malibu two rigging questions..

AznFlyFisherman

Ocean Kayak Malibu two rigging questions..

Post by AznFlyFisherman »

I been using the ocean kayak SOT models for quiet a while now. I use to fish with it up in the north east in delaware, maryland, and Jersey. I been in Texas for about 5years now and thought i get into coastal fishig in the gulf. I just starting rigging up my Ocean kayak malibu TWO. Any advice on what I should do or got any good ideas? Please let me know. Thanx...kham..
GWUnited2

Post by GWUnited2 »

I fished out of a Malibu II for a while and loved it. I regret selling the yak. I have three kids (two are old enough to go out with me) and take them out all of the time. Not just fishing but kayaking on rivers in the Hill Country.

Because I used it for play and for fishing, I found that the less cluttered it was, the better. I had a decent seat with decent back support. Directly behind the seat I used a milk crate similar to those you see posted all over this board. Zip tie pvc rod holders inside each corner and you will have enough room to hold three rods and a landing net (if you use one). Throw a small collapsible cooler in the crate for food and drinks and you still have room for your bag of lures. Secure it with bungee cords and it stays put.

I also used the trolley anchor system described in the rigging section. I liked it's functionality so much that my current kayak is rigged that way also. 5 lb 3 claw folding anchor.

This worked for me because I was able to use the yak as a fishing machine and kid hauler. If you use bait you can just tie off the bait bucket to the yak and drag it beside/behind you. I assume it would compromise your paddling though.

The Malibu II is still my second favorite overall kayak that I have experience with. I currently fish an X-factor and like it the most. If you have any specific questions, just ask and I will tell you my experiences.

Below is a favorite pic of my Malibu II.

GW2

P.S. I couldn't find the pic on my computer so I dug up an old post. A couple of real cool cats took me to fishing one day and introduced me to B&R Flats. Scroll through the post and you will see picture of how I rigged my Malibu II with a milk crate.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18330&highlight=
Nueces Bay
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Nueces Bay »

:shock: