Rigging Fasteners

migser31

Rigging Fasteners

Post by migser31 »

I know this is a broad question with multiple people preferring different methods, but I would like to know which ones give the best waterproofing and holding strength results.

If I'm attaching a Scotty rod mount, would I use rivets w/marine goop, well nuts, or SS bolts and nuts? What about pad eyes? Maybe pad eyes work best with rivets and the mounts with well nuts. If one is better than the other for a specific rig, great, which one works best for each?

I just want to make sure I'm getting the best product to use before I start drilling holes into my brand new expensive kayak. Last thing I want is my maiden voyage to be my last in this boat. :oops: :shock:
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

If you can reach the back side then go with SS bolts and nylon lock nuts.
Pad Eyes are pretty much the same-just order from a kayak dealer.
I heard more bad than good about well nuts so I went with rivets, bolts and nuts.
stag3

Post by stag3 »

Definitely not rivets. SS nuts and bolts are the way to go.
txdiamond17

Post by txdiamond17 »

I understand that nuts and SS bolts and washers would be the strongest, but why no rivets, my yak has many things fastened to it from the OK factory with rivets.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

Rivets work if you use the propper ones :wink:

SS nuts and bolts work better, and I always use "fender" washers as a backing.
ryderredfish

Post by ryderredfish »

What exactly are "Fender" washers. I'm guessing they are a plastic.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

All we use here at the shop is rivets unless some request SS bolts or something like that. Rivets hold extremly well and as long as you use silicone or marine goop you should not have alot water coming in the hull. No matter what you use you will always get some water in the boat. Plastic boats tend to flex alittle with waves and movement of the paddler, this allows water to seap past the seals around the hatches. If you are going to use rivets we sell them or if you want to go somewhere closer to you I would suggest getting airplane rivets since they are the strongest that we have found.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

ryderredfish,

fender washers are just like regular washers except alot wider. if a 5/16 washer is 1/2" in diameter then a 5/16 fender washer will probably be 1 1/2 in diameter (or larger)
stag3

Post by stag3 »

txdiamond17 wrote:I understand that nuts and SS bolts and washers would be the strongest, but why no rivets, my yak has many things fastened to it from the OK factory with rivets.

Just my own experience. One time I had rod holder pull out one rivet--the other two followed. I'm assuming pop rivets-when you look at the expanded part (the back), it just doesn't look very strong, especially when compared to a nut. On things like this, I always try to error on the conservative side.

Stag3
stag3

Post by stag3 »

ryderredfish wrote:What exactly are "Fender" washers. I'm guessing they are a plastic.

No, not necessarly plastic. Fender washers are about 1" plus in diameter for a 1/8 to 1/4 inch hole. They help spread out the load from the nut over a bigger area. I've used them as a backing washer with pop rivets. HD and Lowes sells them.

Stag3
ryderredfish

Post by ryderredfish »

Thanks for the info. It is clear now.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

stag3 wrote:Fender washers are about 1" plus in diameter for a 1/8 to 1/4 inch hole. They help spread out the load from the nut over a bigger area. I've used them as a backing washer with pop rivets. HD and Lowes sells them.Stag3

Thank you for a correct answer :lol:

Go to Lowes, homedepot SUCKS! :P

I do not have any pics of the inside of a mounting or I would post them.............................guess I will have to get some pics in the next couple of days.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Did you

Post by JimD »

Did you check the two sites I list as having good info? They have a world of information in How to and articles because both sites sell all the stuff.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles/Instruction/BasicMaintenance.html
is an article on what you ask on well nuts and rivets..

I would suggestthat you go to the above site and read ALL the atricles that you need help with then go to the other site and see what else you need to read. Between the two they will answer many questions and answere some questions that you did not think of.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ri_articles.asp
stag3

Post by stag3 »

pitontheprowl wrote:
stag3 wrote:Fender washers are about 1" plus in diameter for a 1/8 to 1/4 inch hole. They help spread out the load from the nut over a bigger area. I've used them as a backing washer with pop rivets. HD and Lowes sells them.Stag3

Thank you for a correct answer :lol:

Go to Lowes, homedepot SUCKS! :P

I do not have any pics of the inside of a mounting or I would post them.............................guess I will have to get some pics in the next couple of days.

Hey PitOTP..I thought maybe it was just me that feels thay way about HD. Only a few workers any more, and most of them are not very knowledgeable about the merchandise. Forget any kind of technical help.

Too bad, HD was a great store.
Stag3
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

They all suck, hardware stores and auto parts stores! But what do you expect from companies that want to make BIG bucks but do not want to pay their employees. :evil:

The only two reasons I like Lowes better are their nut and bolt section (better than any auto parts house I have been in) and they are right up the street from my house. :lol:
reelfisherman

Post by reelfisherman »

Which ever way you go, go stainless. Use 316 grade if you can get it. 304 and 307 are more common and less expensive grades, and will hold up fairly well in fresh water. They will rust in salt. Buyer beware!