KAYAK RACK FOR 2002 JEEP WRANGLER (NEED IDEAS)

NaplesJohn
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

KAYAK RACK FOR 2002 JEEP WRANGLER (NEED IDEAS)

Post by NaplesJohn »

Just traded my wife's Jeep Liberty for a 2002 Wrangler Sport (Hard Top) :D :D

I am looking for ideas regarding yak raks and other surf related accessories. I would prefer a rack that can work w/ the top, w/out the top, and with a "future" soft top. Your ideas (photos) and sources if commercially available would be much appreciated. Has anyone done an aluminum rack in same "style" as a T-top on a boat?

Thanks
fowlwaters

Post by fowlwaters »

I have seen a guy around here with one that hooks on the front & rear bumpers and was like a basket on top and could carry a ton of stuff up there it was removeable. I would not want to much stuff up there with the top off you would get all that sand on you and the inside. Was a good idea if you leave the top on.
Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

Try www.quadratec.com. Check out the kongo cage. I think that's what it's called. I hear it's one of the strongest racks around. That's what I'm going with when I put one on. Until then, I'll stick to my trailer.
Attachments
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
ryderredfish

Post by ryderredfish »

It would deprnd on your bumpers. If you had replacement bumper you could probably rig something up. I have seen a couple removeable rack, but I don't know of a manufacturer. I could help design and fabricate if I had some measurements. I am going to take a look at a wrangler to see if I can come up w/some ideas.
AquaTeen

Post by AquaTeen »

Understanding that the jeep needs to look cool in all configurations...what I've seen out here in So Cal is a hitch mounted goal post in the rear, with a windshield mounted light bar. Clean setup when not needing to haul the yak.
AquaTeen

Post by AquaTeen »

Here's one with the light bar up front and a safari bar in the rear...again if you have a hitch..a goalpost in the hitch is much cheaper.
AquaTeen

Post by AquaTeen »

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you John.
The racks are by Warrior Products.
They make a dedicated yak/canoe rack(load bearing) and light bars. The light bar setups are half the price and would do the job since the all the rack really needs to do it get the yak above the roofline. Here's a couple more pics. Or if you're adding the front cooler/rodholder setup get a custom T bar added up front to that setup and just go with the rear rack.
AquaTeen

Post by AquaTeen »

Oh and small world!!! Just realized that you're the same guy that posted over on kayaksportfishing.....I'm here at Channel Islands harbor(Port Hueneme!)
Tarpon_Tamer

Re: KAYAK RACK FOR 2002 JEEP WRANGLER (NEED IDEAS)

Post by Tarpon_Tamer »

NaplesJohn wrote:Just traded my wife's Jeep Liberty for a 2002 Wrangler Sport (Hard Top) :D :D

I am looking for ideas regarding yak raks and other surf related accessories. I would prefer a rack that can work w/ the top, w/out the top, and with a "future" soft top. Your ideas (photos) and sources if commercially available would be much appreciated. Has anyone done an aluminum rack in same "style" as a T-top on a boat?

Thanks

So you got a new jeep and you didnt even tell me :shock:, Man have I got a place for us to go and do some fishin. Let me know when you get back from your trip. Can you say Trophy trout :P

Mike

Also your gonna need room for 2 yaks on there :P
fishingdrone

Post by fishingdrone »

With my '05 Rubicon unlimited, I used an Olympic Dave's Rack ( http://www.4x4products.com/921.htm ) which would double as a sun shade (mind you, you needed two people to operate it).

It's not a cheap route, and it's not a cheap rack. It ran around $1500 installed at 4x4 parts, and still had to buy cross bars/kayak saddles (costing around another $300). Wimpy? Not hardly, it's supposed to bolt to the frame in the rear of the jeep, but if you have a custom bumper (as I did), it has to be welded on to the frame.

Here's what it looked like all set up:

Side view
Angled

(That's a T160i on top)

It was extremely easy to load using an outrigger bar on the rear rail, and it did not sag, sway, or move at all, even at 80mph.

The rack requires an upgraded suspension though, fyi, and I had to put on a 2.5" lift to account for the extra weight to avoid body roll, bounce, etc.

And here's what it looked like after two rolls across TX288 @ 60mph:

blog post

I'm not sure how many jeeps you've seen rolled, but that's the first I've seen look like that after rolling that fast =) I also walked away with just an injured elbow and a few scratches.

!c
NaplesJohn
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by NaplesJohn »

fishingdrone wrote:With my '05 Rubicon unlimited, I used an Olympic Dave's Rack ( http://www.4x4products.com/921.htm ) which would double as a sun shade (mind you, you needed two people to operate it).

It's not a cheap route, and it's not a cheap rack. It ran around $1500 installed at 4x4 parts, and still had to buy cross bars/kayak saddles (costing around another $300). Wimpy? Not hardly, it's supposed to bolt to the frame in the rear of the jeep, but if you have a custom bumper (as I did), it has to be welded on to the frame.

Here's what it looked like all set up:

Side view
Angled

(That's a T160i on top)

It was extremely easy to load using an outrigger bar on the rear rail, and it did not sag, sway, or move at all, even at 80mph.

The rack requires an upgraded suspension though, fyi, and I had to put on a 2.5" lift to account for the extra weight to avoid body roll, bounce, etc.

And here's what it looked like after two rolls across TX288 @ 60mph:

blog post

I'm not sure how many jeeps you've seen rolled, but that's the first I've seen look like that after rolling that fast =) I also walked away with just an injured elbow and a few scratches.

!c

:shock: :shock: Wow...thank god for seatbelts or you would have been DRT (Dead Right There) or FUBAR. I ordered a set of racks on-line...I'll post up when project is complete....Glad you are around to talk about it, as opposed to a flower memorial on the side of 288
fishingdrone

Post by fishingdrone »

NaplesJohn wrote: :shock: :shock: Wow...thank god for seatbelts or you would have been DRT (Dead Right There) or FUBAR. I ordered a set of racks on-line...I'll post up when project is complete....Glad you are around to talk about it, as opposed to a flower memorial on the side of 288

Thanks! Yeah, the seatbelt did help a lot =) Looks like my elbow might be ready enough once the weather warms up - can't wait to get back on the water!

What rack did you end up ordering?

!c
NaplesJohn
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by NaplesJohn »

fishingdrone wrote:
NaplesJohn wrote: :shock: :shock: Wow...thank god for seatbelts or you would have been DRT (Dead Right There) or FUBAR. I ordered a set of racks on-line...I'll post up when project is complete....Glad you are around to talk about it, as opposed to a flower memorial on the side of 288

Thanks! Yeah, the seatbelt did help a lot =) Looks like my elbow might be ready enough once the weather warms up - can't wait to get back on the water!

What rack did you end up ordering?

!c

The SRC OFFROAD RACK from Quadratec

http://www.quadratec.com/products/image ... 41720c.jpg
TFFTB

Post by TFFTB »

I've been using a wilderness expedition rack, from quadratec.com, on my 2002 for about 4 years. Assembled and installed it myself in about less than 2 hours and only had to drill 2 holes. You can get yakima/thule bar mounts for it but you don't need them to carry one boat.
etex ghostrider

Post by etex ghostrider »

I don't have the hardtop Wrangler but have been using a bed extender for a pickup (from Harbor Freight, less than $30) that I reversed to stick up and not out. This fits into the 2" receiver hitch and is padded on top of this cross bar that sticks up. Used foam padding to fit on top of the windshield header bar. You could use kayak or canoe straps to do this on either a hard top, soft top, or top off Wrangler.

This was an inexpensive way of doing it (total less than $75) but it has been secure and has caused no damage to either the yak or the jeep.

Good luck whatever you do.
Attachments
DSCF0009.JPG