How long to charge deer feeder battery???

txdiamond17

How long to charge deer feeder battery???

Post by txdiamond17 »

Well I got a Cuda 240 yesterday for 48 bucks and went to Academy today for a battery. I got the 12V deer feeder battery. After seeing the Cabelas with a charger, I looked for one at Academy and Bingo, I found one. Same little wall charger with alligator clips as Cabelas. 12.99 + 14.99 and I am set up with a FF battery. Problem is, this thing came with no instructions of any kind. How long and often should I charge this thing? I plugged it in when I got home, figure overnight will be a good start.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I would agree, over night. If it is one of those little battery chargers that has both 12/6 volt options, overnight will do.

You can use an regular battery charger and the ones with the automatic regulator will quit charging as the battery approaches full charge.

Just because it is small, doesn't mean a reg. batt charger can't be used.
reelfisherman

Post by reelfisherman »

You need to be sure you use a bigger charger on the low amp mode, 2 or less, you could risk trashing the battery and an acid spill.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Overnight

Post by JimD »

I picked up a Walleyworld light guage cheap that checks the battery charge

though I guess you could check it off a multi meter if you know how.
Sackett

Post by Sackett »

disgruntled wrote:You need to be sure you use a bigger charger on the low amp mode, 2 or less, you could risk trashing the battery and an acid spill.

I'll second this advice! If you have a battery charger with multiple Amp charging options, always choose the lesser Amp to charge your "Deer Feeder Batteries". It's actually better to charge your "Auto Battery" with the low-amp selection at a much longer charge time than to "quickly" charge it on the higher Amp settings.... hence the term "Trickle Charge" :wink:
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

I second these guys also. I have the Cuda 240 a 12 volt 7amp/Hr alarm system battery and a TRICKLE CHARGER. On the 2amp (lowest setting) it can take 2 days to fully charge a new battery. Then every 3-4 trips works great for me.

I am not responsible for damage to your battery, for your battery catching fire in your garage. (it has happened "Bird") or for you running out of juice in the middle of a fishing trip.
gyoung
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gyoung »

Correct, low amp charge or trickle charge... you bought the same one I have 12v 8amp. this is a sealed battery so you don't have to worry about acid leaks (unless you drop it and damage it).

anyway you can also pickup the solar panel in same location at academy which can charge the battery while in use on the water. The panel also has circuits to prevent over charge, note these were designed for deer feeders so thier pretty much no maintanance.

Final word: let me know how you feel about the performance and drain on this 12v 8amp... Mine is dead as a door nail after 8 months and my electric needs are high (I use this beyond just my kayak, but also at the camp site). I will be moving to a higher amp battery from autozone (used for go-carts and lawn mowers; not as big as a car battery.. but somewhere inbetween the 8Amp you bought and the car battery). another downside is it, is not sealed so could be prone to acid leak).

Although the battery acid should not be harmful to the yak (note most battery containers are plastic)... I still have some reservations (but I will go this route anyway).

hope this helps.

oh, costs on the higher amp battery is identical or slightly more than what you paid at Academy. The higher amp battery at autozone ranges from 15-30 bucks.

G
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

trickle charge is the best for most rechargable batt. look at the amp hours on battery and the charger. 1amp trickle charger 8amp hour battery [fresh battery] about 8hours min. charge the smaller the battery the smaller the charge. the large auto size battery's or deep cycle can take more amps. to charge but as a rule the smaller the better. the larger chargers heat up the battery's and heat is what break's down battery's
txdiamond17

Post by txdiamond17 »

I charged it for about 16 hrs. because I forgot to unplug it the next morning. I used the little wall charger from Academy that just plugs in and has alligator clips. I just found my volt meter, so I will check the voltage and post back.
slippinaround

Post by slippinaround »

Be careful when charging these batteries. Vincent had one catch on fire while charging it. Since I read his thread I never charge mine over night and I don't like to go too far from the area so I can keep an eye on it.

Link to his thread: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... ttery+fire