Mounting a Rod Holder/Hanging a Kayak

Stinkbait

Mounting a Rod Holder/Hanging a Kayak

Post by Stinkbait »

Can anyone give me advice on mounting a single rod holder in the cockpit of my Prowler 13? I would like to mount it in the tray area made for a small tackle box. I see that most people mount them further forward than that. I don't see how it is practical to mount it so far forward. I can barely touch my toes much less adding six inches to that reach. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't go ahead and mount it in the tackle box tray? I don't use the tray to hold the tackle box.

Also, I noticed another article about a kayak getting bent after hanging for a long period of time. Is this a common problem? I have mine hanging from either end. Should I move the hangers to hold the kayak more towards the middle?

Thank you for any advice you have.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

First if you are going to be hanging the boat I would recommend not making the space anymore than 6' from strap to strap, and also I would try to keep the boat on its side not flat. When it comes to outfitting your boat do what you think is most comfortable to yourself. You are the one who is going to be using the boat so what you think counts alot. I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't mount it closer to the seat if you feel it will easier to reach and won't get in your way. As far as mounting it I would make sure to use a seal of some sort, we choose to use silicone here at the shop. Most rod holders like a Scotty or Tite-lok tend to come with mounting instructions. I hope this helps and let me know if I can help anymore.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
Stinkbait

Post by Stinkbait »

Thank you very much for your help.
jgsatx

Post by jgsatx »

Welcome to TKF Stinkbait. I have the Prowler 13 also. I waited for a long time before mounting a rod holder. I made many trips figuring I would find some great place to put the rod holder. I am 6' and I do have to stretch to grab the rod but it is out of the way. I ended up using the factory spot in the front. I figured anything closer would really get in the way when paddling. The sides of the boat I had considered as possible locations were going to get in the way of either my paddle leash or anchor.

Justin
shortbus

hanging a kayak

Post by shortbus »

welcome to the site. i hung my 14' redfish on a wall in my garage and only spent about 6.00. home depot sells a hitching pin. it is an eyebolt that screws into wood and has a metal ring in the eye. i screwed the pins in the wall studs and used some old ratchet straps to hang the kayak. the yak hangs flat against the wall and you can adjust the height to your preference. i will take some photos later and try and get them posted. it looks very clean and works very well.
Farside

haning a kayak..

Post by Farside »

I too made my own sling from so old ratchet straps and a metal eye rings that I screwed into the rafters in my garage. I will take a picture tonight and upload it. I bet I spent less than 20 bucks on everything. The only thing I had a problem with was finding a double pulley...actually I am still looking for one. Currently I have two singles on one side and they tend to bind, but it is not a big deal!!
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: haning a kayak..

Post by Fin-Addict »

pimptacular wrote:I too made my own sling from so old ratchet straps and a metal eye rings that I screwed into the rafters in my garage. I will take a picture tonight and upload it. I bet I spent less than 20 bucks on everything. The only thing I had a problem with was finding a double pulley...actually I am still looking for one. Currently I have two singles on one side and they tend to bind, but it is not a big deal!!

Lowes has the double pulley's
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

I bought my P13 used with the scotty rod holder already mounted up in ftont of the tray area. It definitely is to far forward. I brought a scotty extension. I let my rod butt sit on the floor between my legs and the rod just lay in the top area of the rod holder. This is where the little rubber strap mounts across, I just leave it loose and out of the way. I hope this helps, find it pretty comfortable.