transducer mount question

FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

transducer mount question

Post by FishingSETX »

got a new depth finder from the wife for christmas(Gotta love a girl who gives you a calcutta on your birthday after only knowing you a few months and thats been almost 10 years), and Im thinking of using the foam and vasaline mount. I have a kingfish and am HARD on gear so I want to be able to remove the setup after each trip. My question is whether to use the closed cell foam, or if styrofoam would work. I have a piece of styrofoam that is the perfect size, but im worried about it wearing out after a few trips puting the trans. in and taking it out. What do ya'll think. If I should use closed cell foam where can I get a piece cheap (im on a really tight budget.)
Longhorns

Post by Longhorns »

I use fairly stiff closed cell foam and treat it as a permanent mount (don't move it). Don't want the foam absorbing the vaseline.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

That was my other fear. Im not sure how the styrofoam will handle the vasaline. Every now and then, we get stuff in at work packed with closed cell foam, but its the blue or white kind (more air and less plastic.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

I think I may have found a solution, im now thinking of using the PVC cleanout and vasaline instead of water. Has anyone tried this? any suggestions?
gyoung

Post by gyoung »

?? seems to me you can get styrofoam pretty cheap and easy (very easy to replace if damaged), you could probably strengthen it by spraying it with some sort of water sealant at home depot (acrilic spray?).

who cares if it doesn't last more than a few outtings as you can easily replace it, eh? seems like the route I would go.. for a non-permanant setup. otherwise, pull out the plaster of paris, make a mold and heat some plastic and make you something permanant.

I'm working on a more elaborate, removable (cheap) rig my self, but I will not share yet until I can validate it will work. If all goes well I will have a detachable rail I can use any Scotty product on, secure enough for trolling a rod, no holes on the yak and removable (I'm dreaming though right?). anyway, I'll post my plans after I "prove" them out...

G
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Do not try styrofoam!

I did and it was a disaster. My experience was styrofoam is way too brittle and breakable to be worth the trouble. I attempted to glue two different ones in my yak and they both broke at different stages of the attempts.......one as I inserted the transponder. Go with the closed foam!!!!!!!
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

Just picked up a 4" cleanout and some marine goop. I also got a package of velcro for the display mount and battery hold down. (I hate the thought of screwing anything to the yak). Im going to try the velcro to make sure i like the positioning of the display/battery, and then if it works good, ill leave it alone, but if i have problems, i'll bite the bullet and screw it down. im going to try water first in the cleanout, but later I want to try vasaline. I wonder if water based gels will work ( you know the ones im talking about) That way I can rinse off the transducer each time!!
Longhorns

Post by Longhorns »

Rather than cleaning the transducer every time, why not just make it a permanent mount that in itself has the ability to moved (removed)? It doesn't need cleaning.
gyoung

Post by gyoung »

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articl ... rticles=45

My idea is expounded on the above portable rig... if you don't know about the above article its a good one as it can be removed (keeping your deck clean) and it uses all scotty standard products.

but you seem to be like me.. the less you have to install or manipulate on the boat the better.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

I mounted the transducer using the cleanout method, and the battery using velcro. I tried velcro on the Display mount, but it wouldnt' stick so I just screwed it down. the trans. and battery are under the front hatch, and the dispay is right behind the hatch. my kingfish comes with the rubber hatch cover, so I just ran the wire under it. there is only about 1" of wire showing with the hatch closed. tried it today, and it seems to work great, now all I need is a way to keep the water in when I load/unload/tip the kayak.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

I use the clean out

Post by JimD »

I use the cleanout in the 160. Has worked well with water but can leak out or come lose but usually stays in place. I roll my 160 up on the suv on a 3/4 piece of pipe.

My df is mounted on a small piece of angle in the left front well on the 160 below deck level so you do not hit it or hang up on it.

Going to try vasoline one day but it always seems easier to add water once a year.

My battery fits in a small bag that hangs by a hook mounted inside the front hatch. No problems just hook it plug in the df and go.