deep scratch

guthook

deep scratch

Post by guthook »

i awuired a deep gouge in the side of my kayak today while loading it up...it didnt go all the way through, but is really deep.

My question is were could i aquire the plactic to fill it in and what kind of heat are ya using to melt the palstic?

THANKS, PAUL
wasserkonnig

Post by wasserkonnig »

Almost all yaks are made from slight variations of the same stuff - HDPE which simply stands for High Density PolyEthylene. Many of the plastic cutting boards you can buy at most stores are the same material. There may some kits out there that offer the hdpe welding rods, etcc... needed to make repairs. HDPE welds easily and repairs like this one should not be too difficult. I would suggest some practice runs to get a good feel first. Perhaps buying a cutting board and practicing scratching then repairing. Just go slow and practice. Some of the yak sellers may have some better recommendations. Good luck and don't worry - it's fixable.
wasserkonnig

Post by wasserkonnig »

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57530

then there's this thread - better than my advice
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

Most of the manufacturers will send you piece to repair it but your easier way is to go to a dealer that actually works on them. They'll get you the right material (not all are the same), or if you want, they'll do the work. It isn't rocket science, but it is an art that requires some skill.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

Feel free to give us a call at the shop and we can give you quote on the repairs or if you need the plastic come on by and I'm sure we have some spare plastice to match, depending on how much you need it will only be a couple of bucks.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

Feel free to give us a call at the shop and we can give you quote on the repairs or if you need the plastic come on by and I'm sure we have some spare plastice to match, depending on how much you need it will only be a couple of bucks.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600