Flush mount rod holders BEWARE!

mightyquinn

Flush mount rod holders BEWARE!

Post by mightyquinn »

Now I see why these types of holders are dangerous. In my P13, they are angled outwards, so every limb, brush, dock, or pilon rakes your rods and tries to yank them overboard. I learned the hard way. Brand new Curado went overboard, but luckily was only 3 ft deep. Mount your rod holders straight up and down, like in a crate. My two cents
TexasGringo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasGringo »

I wouldn't worry about it much. Just be mindful of your rods back there. When i've gone through narrow areas where my rod(s) might hit something and get yanked out i just grab it and put it in the cockpit area or in an extra rod holder in the crate.
But overall i agree. If your someone that doesn't pay attention then its a good idea keep them as verticle as possible.
fowlwaters

Post by fowlwaters »

Cant you mount them where they are angled straight back instead of out to the side?
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

fowlwaters wrote:Cant you mount them where they are angled straight back instead of out to the side?

Yes Scotty makes an insert that slides into the Flush mount and you can add a Regular Scotty mount to that. Add a small piece of pool noodle to it for a snug fit.

Attachments
Gimbal%20Mount.jpg
Gimbal%20Mount.jpg (4.74 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

Here at the shop we like to install the flush mounts angleing staight back. Most flush mounts come with a slight angle to them, so it is not difficult to aim them straight back. Yes your rods will still hit low hanging branches and things of this nature, but if the rods are straight back and do not hang off the side of the boat then you should have no problem keeping things from reaching out and grabbing them. I know from personal expierence that losing a Curado can ruin a fishing trip so I learned early to aim them straight back and also to use rod leashes, this way even if they do fall out they are still attached to boat. The Scotty mounts are great and allow you the freedom of 360 degrees of motion, I enjoy using them and the Gimble mount is great for those who have already installed or bought a boat with flush mounts. If anyone is interested in seeing the setups feel free to stop by or I am going to try and post some outfitted boats under the Kayak Rigging page.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

That is why

Post by JimD »

That is why Academy has the 3 for 9 dollar rod floats.

The have saved me 3 or 4 curados. :oops: :oops:
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

This is good advice and the kind of thing the inexperienced won't think about. When my new Fish N Dive was being rigged out, Jolly Roger happened to be in the shop and advised me on how to mount the rod holders. Otherwise, being an old power boat man, I would have had John angle them as far outboard as possible. Now, mine are angled just slightly outboard.

Keep up the good advice.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Another drawback to flushmounts!

Post by TKFStubb »

My biggest complaint about flushmounts is that in saltwater, your reels are continually bathed with saltwater. Any wave, splash, paddlestroke, or sudden movement will douse your reels. This is the WORST thing that can happen to them. If you are a saltwater fisherman... please don't use flushmounts if you care about your reels! 8)
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

Flush mounts work well for me and what I do and where I fish, I agree that my reels do get some water on them but since I have been fishing out of the Manta Ray I haven't had any problems with splash getting on my reels, even in the ten footer. If you are concerned about the reels getting wet then use a short length of pvc tubing or the Scotty Gimble mount and it will raise the reel height to an appropriate level. I outfitt every boat I fish out of with flush mounts and I never really have problems. I just wash my reels off every trip including freshwater, and every fourth trip I take them apart and give a good cleaning and fresh oil. If you can afford it then Scotty mounts or Ram mounts all the way around are a great choice, I just can't afford $60 worth of rod holders. I do carry the flush mounts, Scotty mounts, and Tite-loks, and soon we should have some Ram mounts. Feel free to call with any questons.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
cornwoody

Post by cornwoody »

Here is a tid bit also. I always end up with several rods its a nasty habbit i developed fishin bass tourneys. Never NEVER real your bait to the tip top and go into low hanging stuff..Geeze I know sounds like common sense but take the time to hook the bait down low on a reel handle or hook eye on the rod. That way if you do get into low hanging stuff your less likely to hang your rod in a tree its quite embarrrrisssin believe me .... :oops:
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I use my rear flush mounts to hold anchor, gaff and/or dip net. My front flush mounts have ping balls in them to keep water out. All my rods are kept in the milk crate rod holders.
tarpy kayak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by tarpy kayak »

PVC inserts work fairly well to get the reels up and out of the h2o. Personally, I won't install them but they are molded in on my new yak so the extensions will have to do...or not use them at all :roll: