Toe controls for your rudder???

barleydog

Toe controls for your rudder???

Post by barleydog »

I've been looking at the Smart Trak rudder system, and would appreciate some reviews on the system please-or any other toe control system out there. I have a X-factor, and really like how big and sturdy the current foot braces are, and I would like to try and keep the rigid strong type foot braces ( I have a tarpon 120, and am not as pleased with those foot braces) So lets hear it....good/bad/otherwise....?
Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Doug Poudre »

If you can get one, they are very sturdy. Just make sure you are ordering one that is designed for SOTs. Otherwise, it can be a bear to install.
Longhorns

Post by Longhorns »

Best system going, bar none. Had mine for two years with some pretty rough usage, loading and unloading as well as fishing and no problems. Austin Canoe and Kayak has them, Austin Outdoor Gear and Guidance may have them also and if so they have a lot of experience with them having been a dealer when SealLine manufactured them. I assume the new (manufacturer) ones perform like the old ones.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

FROM ACK other post

Post by JimD »

Someone posted some questions regarding Toe control rudders. We carry the Toe Pilot from SmartTrack.

This rudder system is incredible, it allows you to keep your feet in the same place and control the rudder with your toes. The downside is that it was made for sit-in-side kayaks and takes a bit of adaptation to work with sit-on-tops. Additionally, depending on the back of your kayak you may need to fabricate a rudder bracket. If you have a Wilderness or Malibu kayak you are good to go, additionally, if you have a vertical hole in the back of the kayak you are also good to go....those with slanted backs are going to need to do a bit more work. The other problem is that the rudder's rails are meant to be installed from the outside of the kayak, this is obviously easy with a sit-in-side and not so good with a sit-on-top. Since the screws are meant to come in from the outside you have two options.

Option 1) grow very small hands and reach inside and then behind the area and screw it in.

Option 2) use the SmartTrack vertical adjustment kit. You can screw the rails to the adjustment kit and then the kit to the kayak. There are two benefits, one is that you can lower the rails so your feet aren't up in the air and the second is that you are now screwing into the kayak the same way you would be with a regular rudder.

The cost of the Toe pilot system will vary depending on what you already have, if you have a rudder than you just need the Toe controls ($109.95) and the Vertical adjustment kit ($14.95).

Should you have no current rudder than the entire rudder kit is needed. This has everything you need in it and will run you $219.00. Plus you will most likely need the vertical adjustment kit as well.

Hopefully this all helps...here is a link to all of the smart track products we carry. If you are not wanting to drop $225 on a rudder we have a great Universal Rudder for $135....it is the old school sliding rails. We also carry all the regular manufacturer rudders for Ocean Kayak, Wilderness and Hobie.

All SmartTrack products: http://www.austinkayak.com/catalog_brands.php?brand=28

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

ACK
www.austinkayak.com