Kayak Cart

RedsProwler

Kayak Cart

Post by RedsProwler »

Here is my simple design for a kayak cart. My first attempt kept sliding off, so I added the tubes through the scupper. Works much better now.

I've attached some instructions for what was built and the cost.
Attachments
Kayak Cart assemble instructions.doc
(521.5 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
under_kayak.jpg
Last edited by RedsProwler on Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
yakkety yak

Post by yakkety yak »

Good instructions, plans and photos. Thanks! :D
planohog

Post by planohog »

WOW, Great job on the instructions and design of cart.

--tmoore
Gig'em77

Post by Gig'em77 »

Superb job of how to make this cart. Thanks!! It's been very helpful.
I've never used a cart before. Would like to have one, though. I will probably opt for adding more cotter pins so I can disassemble it and fit it into the storage bin.

Can you explain something to me, please? What's the best procedure for loading your Prowler 13 onto the cart without putting too much weight onto the wheel axle? I'm trying to visualize how to load, and thought I'd probably have to turn my Drifter on its side, attach the cart, then set the cart and yak upright, wheels first, onto the ground. But I'm thinking doing this would put too much weight on the first wheel to hit the ground.

Thanks for sharing.
Gig'em
RedsProwler

Post by RedsProwler »

Gig'em77 wrote:Superb job of how to make this cart. Thanks!! It's been very helpful.
I've never used a cart before. Would like to have one, though. I will probably opt for adding more cotter pins so I can disassemble it and fit it into the storage bin.

I think it would be simple enough to not glue the support. Drill a 1/4" or so hole and insert a couple of pins. And dont glue the scupper tubes as well. Just push them in place.

Gig'em77 wrote:Can you explain something to me, please? What's the best procedure for loading your Prowler 13 onto the cart without putting too much weight onto the wheel axle? I'm trying to visualize how to load, and thought I'd probably have to turn my Drifter on its side, attach the cart, then set the cart and yak upright, wheels first, onto the ground. But I'm thinking doing this would put too much weight on the first wheel to hit the ground.

The prowler has a lift handle at rear. I just pick it up, look through the tankwell scupper holes to get it lined up and set it on the cart. I dont worry about weight on the axle. It's plenty strong enough to take the weight.
Gig'em77

Post by Gig'em77 »

Okay. Thanks!!
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

nylon webbing & buckles for cart?

Post by CopanoCruisin »

For the Tie down straps, I am looking for the nylon webbing and buckles, in the Corpus Christi area. West marine had some webbing of one size and buckles of another.
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

DAMN GOOD WRITE UP! I know I've got some scrap PVC around here. 8)
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Thanks RedsProwler for the detailed instructions. You was right about checking the cener measurements on the scupper holes, my P-13 was a little different than yours. All I I have left to do is find the webbing & buckles. I haven't had much luck with that in the CC area yet.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

HD

Post by JimD »

YOU can get a world of straps at HD or the kayak straps are 1$ each at Harbor Freight from time to time if you do not want the rachet type.
RedsProwler

Post by RedsProwler »

CopanoCruisin wrote:All I I have left to do is find the webbing & buckles. I haven't had much luck with that in the CC area yet.

Glad it worked out for you. I am finding the cart very handy.

Try a Camping shop like REI or something. I got mine from Whole Earth Provisions, which is a camping/outdooor shop.
Toolman
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Kayak Cart/Straps

Post by Toolman »

Redsprowler,

Thank you for the detailed instructions. You have saved us all many $$. Super Job. :lol:

I purchsed 12' straps at REI yesterday for about $14.00. They have them in a variety of sizes.