Transducer Mount for an Ocean Kayak

TexasDrew

Transducer Mount for an Ocean Kayak

Post by TexasDrew »

Hi All,
I have an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and need to mount the transducer. Ocean Kayak recommends (and I purchased) the Hummingbird XTH 9 20 P, the kayak even has a molded port at the bottom of one of the scupper holes to accommodate the transducer base however I am concerned that the blocked scupper hole would not allow enough water to exit in the event of a large wave or two swamping the cockpit. There are only two scupper holes in the cockpit.
Does anyone have experience with this?
Attachments
20200705_165008.jpg
20200705_164922.jpg
1090892_primary.png
Kalait

Re: Transducer Mount for an Ocean Kayak

Post by Kalait »

I am reworking my Garmin Stricker for a shoot through the hull. Some are telling me Duck Seal is a good product, I know goop will not seal well well if you allow the yak to sit on your truck upsidedown.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

If you go through the surf it would for sure be a concern to me. If not it shouldn't be a big issue.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

SWFinatic wrote:If you go through the surf it would for sure be a concern to me. If not it shouldn't be a big issue.
Which mount would you be concerned about? Through the scupper or shoot through the hull? Sorry after dealing with a 13-year-old all day at work, me confused.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Kalait wrote:
SWFinatic wrote:If you go through the surf it would for sure be a concern to me. If not it shouldn't be a big issue.
Which mount would you be concerned about? Through the scupper or shoot through the hull? Sorry after dealing with a 13-year-old all day at work, me confused.
Through the scupper. By essentially blocking off 1 of the 2 scuppers in the cockpit it will take longer for the water to drain out. I'm not saying it's not doable. It definitely is in the right conditions.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

SWFinatic wrote:
Kalait wrote:
Through the scupper. By essentially blocking off 1 of the 2 scuppers in the cockpit it will take longer for the water to drain out. I'm not saying it's not doable. It definitely is in the right conditions.