New Hobie mirage drive for 2020

DeeepSouth

New Hobie mirage drive for 2020

Post by DeeepSouth »

Not sure if everyone has seen this or not, I think it was released earlier today. Pretty bad-ass. Not sure I’m willing to pony up the $ for that feature, but I am a little jealous of anyone who does.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzsn8OBA3mO ... 1saiwx9vbt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SWFinatic

Re: New Hobie mirage drive for 2020

Post by SWFinatic »

Yep I saw it. The innovation Hobie brings to the market is unmatched IMO. Being able to fludder kick in shallow water and still be able to turn the drive 360 degrees is pretty amazing. BUT that's a $5200 kayak (w/tax) without doing any rigging to it.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I saw it also. My thoughts are: too pricey for the features. You can get a Solo Skiff or similar type craft, with a 5-6 hp engine for less than the cost of this kayak. The other drawback is now, you cannot drop a trolling motor through the hull.

I hope they sell a bunch of them, though, because I am in the market for an older model PA12 and this might up the supply - or at least allow me to get one on clearance.
Richterman

Post by Richterman »

looks awesome. $4700 for the PA 47. I wonder if anyone will have a pre order discount?
johnboat

Post by johnboat »

The video is amazing. Does the new system even have a rudder? Looks like you don't need one anymore with this 360 system. And the bump hinged pivot blades are also a game changer if you can really just bang over obstructions.
All Hobie products seem pricey until you own and use them.
This company continues the innovation tradition of its late founder Hobie Alter. If you like books you really need to check out his illustrated biography. He was a true waterman from birth. The only sad part is looking at the pictures of his youth and realizing how wonderful CA was back then before the nuts took over.
https://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Master-Wat ... 097042289X
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Still a rudder. You can just use the 360 drive and rudder to turn fast.
I will wait as the more moving parts in a system the more that can FAIL! Wait and see how it works.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it may be the upgrade option for those whose older drives fail.

oops - never mind
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

kickingback wrote:Still a rudder. You can just use the 360 drive and rudder to turn fast.
I will wait as the more moving parts in a system the more that can FAIL! Wait and see how it works.
Hobie has had issues with the drive well cracking especially on the Outbacks. Looks like it could happen on this one too. The design/engineering is impressive just not for me.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

True! The fact that it uses gears to turn the drive then there is a chance of failure issues. Hope there aren't any but we'll see.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

My buddy Steve broke his 1st-gen-reverse Mirage drive under warranty and received the newer-version turbo fin reverse drive in warranty replacement.
A distance bike rider, with 50-yr muscle memory, he's backed off on his leg umph to save wear and tear on his Mirage drive.
This was the first trip on the new drive - he had a total of 4 days on the original Mirage drive when it broke on Boerne City Lake.

johnboat

Post by johnboat »

1. The drive hole is not the same for this 2020 360 system. Also there is a special lever and connection on gunnel for the 360 feature. Not an upgrade for existing Hobies.

2. I haven't had any issues and I too am a regular bicyclist with strong legs. It is important to adjust the pedals so you don't bonk the stop at each end of the stroke. The instructions tell you that. Even properly adjusted it is possible to really stretch a stroke and hit the stop so you learn to use a comfortable normal stroke without trying to max it out. I suspect that is what happens to cause a failure.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

(a good cyclist has strong core muscles, because they don't lean on the handlebars, which also helps with proper paddling stroke)
impulse

Post by impulse »

When I came back from overseas, I found a storage shed full of half a dozen Hobie drives that my extended family had managed to destroy over a period of 2 years. They had also take some in for repairs, but gave up when they, too failed. None of them worked.

Before I left for overseas, I always paddled. I'll continue to paddle. Unless...

If I was willing to spend that kind of money, I'd go with an electric trolling motor scheme. I forecast a good market for a company that comes up with a wireless controlled, GPS enabled electric trolling motor that's sized for kayaks. Something akin to the MotorGuide Xi5, but scaled down to fit a kayak. Pop one on the back of even an expensive non-Hobie 'yak and you're still under the $5,000 mark. And the trolling motor will hold you on station, go in a straight line, or find its way back home, without pedaling.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hobie come up with it, but then we're probably talking $8-10,000.

Edit: I'd concede the appeal of the Hobie drives if you're the only paddler and you diligently care for the machine. But when you're sharing a 'yak with kids, grandkids, step-kids, and assorted friends and neighbors, that's a recipe for a pile of very expensive drive carcasses.
johnboat

Post by johnboat »

In as nutshell, paddling and fishing are incompatible in my view. I have too much else to do with my hands...cast, land fish, drink coffee, drink beer. I often troll suspending lures like the Mirrolure Catch 2000 or pitch a Top Dog. It only takes one hand to quickly adjust the rudder lever every now and then to maintain or change course. Your leg muscles are the strongest in your body. It is really easy to propel a Hobie in still water and moderate breeze. In fact its almost subconscious. I agree its not for kids or careless novices. I can imagine forcing the impeded pedals in shallow water would break something real quick.

Maybe my strong opinion is also because I have the PA14. It is a heavy 14' x 36" 150 lb. beast and paddling it is not fun. Its really more of a human powered boat than a conventional kayak. But it is a stable and silent fish killer. At night with green LEDs on it drives bait crazy bonking into the hull and sometimes into the boat. I slipped up on a dolphin and startled it and made it tail slap. Totally spooks my wife when one comes up near and blows.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it also means you have a strong opinion about what defines fishing.
Peddle-drive kayaks will definitely replace bass-boat and trolling motor approach to fishing.

It's really tough to argue with Prof Salt's results in a fishing-modified surf-ski, paddling at over 5 kts and 20-mi days - no pedal kayak can keep up with that for very long, because the hulls aren't that efficient.

For those of us who like drift-fishing a kayak, drift sock and trolley is the most important fishing device ever. Check any of Neumie's paddle/drift trails. Here, a sleek fast paddle boat makes the day. There's also my buddy's Revo16, which travels fast and far with Mirage drive, and is still a useful boat to paddle where the Mirage drive won't function.
Going back into the 80s, I know people who never fish from their power boats, but use them as taxis to good wade-fishing, which a fast paddle kayak also does very well.
Combining a light paddle kayak with a power boat for mother ship will get you to places other kayaks can't get to, and the kayak will take you farther to places the power boat can't get into.
johnboat

Post by johnboat »

I agree. Its a matter of how I fish now that I'm north of 65. And, I went straight from single end paddling an Old Town canoe to the Mirage drive bypassing double end paddling. But I observe regular kayaks nearby me when I'm fishing and its not for me.

If I had money to burn I would buy a Hobie Revo 16 just to satisfy my need for speed.

One thing that I also consider non-negotiable at my stage of the game is the Hobie "Vantage" seat. It is extremely comfortable and cool in hot weather. And easy to get in and out of. The low position is better in iffy weather and waves, but the higher position lets you push down more on the pedals for easier propulsion.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Adding my $0.02 (and that's all it's worth...) once the boat gets over a certain weight and level of complexity, many of the advantages of kayak fishing are seriously diminished.

I have a hard enough time loading my 76# Tarpon on top my soccer mom van by myself, and I certainly can't put 16' inside the van. Take that up to 150#, and those of us without a pick-em-up truck or waterfront property are forced to buy, pull, store and maintain a trailer. Plus all the limitations related to parking with a trailer.

And that doesn't even address the affordability issue that's so appealing about kayaks. Get ON the water for under $1,000. Under $300 if you shop right.

There's a business opportunity (or 3) in that statement... But I just can't nail down all the details.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

johnboat wrote:I agree. Its a matter of how I fish now that I'm north of 65. And, I went straight from single end paddling an Old Town canoe to the Mirage drive bypassing double end paddling. But I observe regular kayaks nearby me when I'm fishing and its not for me.

If I had money to burn I would buy a Hobie Revo 16 just to satisfy my need for speed.

One thing that I also consider non-negotiable at my stage of the game is the Hobie "Vantage" seat. It is extremely comfortable and cool in hot weather. And easy to get in and out of. The low position is better in iffy weather and waves, but the higher position lets you push down more on the pedals for easier propulsion.
not far behind you, I just went lower in the kestrel - what I like about it is incredible glide and completely windproof.
btw, they don't sell a lot of Revos, and blems go really cheap - $1600 new for my buddy's.
Keep in mind when you climb on a Revo, they have low initial stability.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
impulse

Post by impulse »

johnboat wrote:I agree. Its a matter of how I fish now that I'm north of 65. And, I went straight from single end paddling an Old Town canoe to the Mirage drive bypassing double end paddling.

One thing I learned when living in Bangkok is that canoes paddle real nicely with a long kayak paddle. I hate running (bad hip), so my mid-week exercise consisted of renting an amusement park canoe at the local pond. (I'd have brought my kayak, but that wasn't allowed). I added 2' to one of my kayak paddles and bought a low slung folding chair and paddled the canoe from the middle. The folding chair also offered excellent back support- otherwise my back was aching after an hour.

For anyone paddling a canoe with a single blade paddle, I'd suggest giving a long, double blade kayak paddle a try. I also used a very long kayak paddle on my stand-up paddleboards.
johnboat

Post by johnboat »

I really agree on everyone's points about the PA14. It definitely is not a one man easy launch watercraft. I keep mine in a boat house sling lift that used to hold my motorboat so weight is not an issue. On the other hand stability is a huge issue and the PA14 is the gold standard for that.

I just thought of another thing I like about it. If one is fishing several casts to cover a spot in a breeze, its very easy to maintain one's position by just a few foot strokes and slight rudder adjustments. That has become almost instinctive. I have an anchor and trolley but never use it.

And I don't want to leave the impression the PA14 is an overweight clunker. Once you get it moving it glides effortlessly with easy pedaling at perfect fishing speed. Another thing, for those unfamiliar, is that its not circular pedaling like a bicycle (or some propeller kayak propulsion systems), but a back and forth pushing left right left right. Not much wasted leg movement.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Mirage drive is great stuff - round bicycle crank on a kayak doesn't make sense just from the seat elevation and leg position.
Where you use the trolley is to turn big wind at the coast into fishing advantage, e.g, Josh's trail I posted above.
This is an 18-kt NNW wind (I'm about to stake the boat, get out and chase that red)