Pescador Pilot Steering Mod

SWFinatic

Pescador Pilot Steering Mod

Post by SWFinatic »

After using our Pescador Pilot several times I found the rudder steering handle was hard to turn and needed to be addressed. I did some research and turns out most Pilot owners are having the same problem. IMO the issue is how the steering is designed so I came up with a steering mod that works a lot better. Turning the steering handle now is as easy as my Hobie.

Below are some photos of what I did and the steps. I used the original rudder steering handle and mounting plate but modified the steering design similar to what is used on some of the older Hobie's with rudder steering.

Step 1- When you remove the original steering assembly there is an indention in the boat. I used a Dremel and cut the indention out which created roughly 2" hole so I can access the inside.

Step 2- Assemble the modified rudder assembly. I used the original steering handle and mounting plate, added a plastic (white) washer on the back side or underside of the black plastic mounting plate to help prevent water from getting into the hull, added a spring, removed the original 1/4" bolt from the center of the steering handle and added a 1/4"x6" SS bolt, and added a 5/8"x5" mending plate that connects to the 1/4" bolt. On each side of the mending plate I used 1/4" SS stop nuts and a stop nut at the bottom or underside of the mounting plate. The spring is needed to provide tension between the mending plate and the steering handle.

Step 3- Bolt small SS eye bolts to the mending plate and attach rudder cable.

Step 4- Insert the mending plate into the hole/hull of the boat and connect the steering assembly using 1/4" stop nut with Loctite.

Step 5- Screw the rudder steering assembly back into original holes using original screws and adjust rudder cable.

This is a fairly invasive process but does make a night and day difference. I can now turn the rudder steering handle with one finger.
Attachments
Rudder steering assembly using orig handle
Rudder steering assembly using orig handle
Used a mending plate to turn rudder cable
Used a mending plate to turn rudder cable
Attaching the steering assembly to the cable
Attaching the steering assembly to the cable
Finished
Finished
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Pescador Pilot Steering Mod

Post by Neumie »

Great mod, thanks for sharing. Did you take a picture of the factory set up?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Yep sure did.
Attachments
Factory steering handle
Factory steering handle
Steering mounting plate fits over pulley
Steering mounting plate fits over pulley
Before- Steering Pulley.jpg
Rudder pulley with cable attached
Rudder pulley with cable attached
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Cool. So, you essentially doubled the leverage over the factory.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Doubled the leverage and reduced the friction and resistance. In short time dirt and grime gets between the round pulley and the walls of the pulley housing and creates resistance.