Car topping OK Big Game II

Mattmartin817

Car topping OK Big Game II

Post by Mattmartin817 »

I was hoping to get a little advice on what to do to car top my new Big Game II. I recently upgraded from the pescador 12 which could be car topped upside down with no problem. The big game, not so easy. The seat sticks out to much and bends the hood of my vehicle. I don’t *think* it will damage the car permanently if I keep doing it that way, but I’d rather not take the chance. I’ve got the regular square bar Malone rack up there with the padded sleeves on the bars. Any suggestions for transporting my kayak right side up? Have been looking at the seawing, and the saddle up, just really don’t feel like spending that much money, but I’m starting to think that might be my only choice. Oh, and the vehicle is a Subaru Forester. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Car topping OK Big Game II

Post by Neumie »

My first thought after reading you had Malone cross bars were the seawings, and it's still my suggestion even after reading you'd rather not spend that much. Due to the seat and it's difficulty removing for transport, you need to transport the kayak up right, and the seawings will do so the safest way possible. The seawings would also cradle the kayak extremely well.
Check ebay, you can get the seawings much cheaper there.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

FYI: There are Seawings and some Yakima saddles in the Buy and Sell section, if they haven't sold. TexasJim
Mattmartin817

Post by Mattmartin817 »

Thanks guys. I think the seawing seems to be the way to go.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The Yakima rollers really help for single-hand loading a boat on car top
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

Mattmartin817 wrote:Thanks guys. I think the seawing seems to be the way to go.
Ron Mc wrote:The Yakima rollers really help for single-hand loading a boat on car top
For my Old Predator 13 I transported it first in the bed of a truck and then went to a Harbor Freight trailer. On the trailer I started with Yakima rollers and saddles and was happy with them but they were getting worn out so I started looking for replacements. I used a set of Sea Wings only once but felt they did not provide enough contact area with the kayak. I also used the Rhino-Rack T-Load Assist and Support Bar a few times transporting the kayak in the bed of the truck but it did not tilt low enough to provide any help in getting the kayak loaded. I eventually decided to install PVC racks on the trailer to transport my kayak.

For my own situation the PVC works best and the Yakima rollers also worked good. Depending on where you live you are welcome to try whatever I have to see if it works for you before you buy anything.

YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBK5faTw2pA