Rudder Installation

brochd

Rudder Installation

Post by brochd »

Does anyone know a place in the Galveston/Texas City area that can install a rudder with foot control on a Viking kayak? I recently got one of those cordless drill paddles and it tends to drift a little too much. I know ACK or FTU can do it but I would like to find somewhere a little closer if possible. I live in Texas City. Thanks for any info.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Rudder Installation

Post by Neumie »

KO sailing or REI may be able to help.

Honestly, it's not that hard to install a rudder at home, plenty of videos on youtube to help out if necessary.

Side Note: You'll need to register your kayak now.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I would guess the Viking is set up for a quick rudder install.
if you do it yourself, here is a good place to get hardware.
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/footbraces-s/335.htm
Make sure the gudgeon that supports your rudder goes into wellnuts.
You also need a sleeve bushing, sitting on top of the gudgeon plate, of the correct length (height) to align the cables with the guides in the hull
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Like Ron and Neumie said, it's not hard to install a rudder. All recent vintage Vikings come with brass inserts in the hull to mount the rudder bracket. Most already have tubes to run the cables through. If you buy a Viking rudder kit, it only takes about fifteen minutes to install it. No drilling.

For those DIY guys, Ali Express sells all sorts of rudders, kits, toe control footpegs, etc., direct from China, by mail. I bought toe control footpegs with tracks for about $20! A whole rudder kit, with toe control is less than $60. Yes, they're Chinese plastic parts, but they're very similar to the plastic parts you get from the kayak manufacturers for just under $300. AliExpress.com They also sell some neato water shoes I bought for $20 mailed.

I used teflon-coated shark leader(400 lb. test) for my rudder cables. I just didn't trust Kevlar twine. YMMV

Good luck! TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I checked, Viking sells a rudder kit for $209 - it doesn't even need a deployment line - just mount at each end and run the cables.
http://www.vikingkayaksusa.com/rudder-kit/
Probably all you'd need for tools are #3 Phillips screwdriver and a good way to cut cables.
You need a plan to keep the cable ends from fraying - can use crimp sleeves or knarps like in my photo.
I work on so many bicycles and have enough tools, it all seems pretty simple from my end.

brochd

Post by brochd »

Thanks for the suggestions. I may give it a try myself but it will likely end in catastrophic failure. My skill level in such things is less than zero, but it seems like there's no risk of damaging the yak. May be worth a shot.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you can always get it bolted on and ask a bike shop to finish your cables
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

The install on a Viking is beyond simple. Give me a call Saturday and I can talk you through it 3617279966. All you need is a screwdriver. I do them in about 10-15 minutes now.