Trailer for hauling kayaks .......

Speck Tackler

Trailer for hauling kayaks .......

Post by Speck Tackler »

I have a buddy of mine who is picking buying two kayaks. He does not own a truck so his options for transportation would be limited to loading them on top of his wife's SUV.

I have seen some of our members with some pretty nice kayak trailers. I would think that he may want one which could possibly be pulled behind an Accord or SUV.

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Smokey
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Trailer for hauling kayaks .......

Post by kickingback »

Accord I wouldn't get anything larger than the galvanized 12'-14' McClaine trailer from Academy. You can then buy a McClaine kayak kit from McClane off I-10 if you need a ready made rack. You can hire a local shop to make a "cradle" for the kayaks if you want to go a separate and maybe cheaper route than buying the kit. Take a look at the "Trailers" post in this forum for pics.

Don't go harbor freight trailer if you plan to do ANY salt water fishing. It will rust out in a year.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

A small jetski trailer, jon boat trailer, or one the folding trailers from Harbor Freight.
TG05

Post by TG05 »

I’m very happy with my Malone Microsport. It’s galvanized, has 12” wheels, sealed bearings, and with the collapsing tongue, it stores upright in the garage so I can still get my vehicle in. I added wider bars and an extra support, and easily carry 2 kayaks. I’ve also carried 3 kayaks, 2 were sitting upright and 1 was on its side between them.
Attachments
trailer1.jpg
Dorado 2.JPG
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Malone, offered with U-cradles for 2 boats, J-cradles for 4, or flat bars - with the cradles, buy and air the tires.
Nice thing about 2, the boats are flat and can stay rigged.
Speck Tackler

Post by Speck Tackler »

I have been looking at those. That trailer looks nice and is fairly light to boot.

Only problem is now I want one. :lol:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I didn't want one either until my buddy bought one, but he has a gear cathedral:

can't even see the 10 bicycles racked on the far wall.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

And you didn’t want that cathedral? Man!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'm helping him work on the RV - we're getting it ready for coast trips

Onto those shelves, he emptied a 3-car garage so completely packed you couldn't turn around in it.
Part of the reason his wife was in favor of this - on that 3-car garage, they also took the 3 doors down and replaced them with two wide doors and open clean space for their vehicles.

The RV barn has a 14' overhead door, and is just 20 sq-ft short of not meeting the city code for back-yard storage shed, that is, 20 more and code would consider it a second domicile.
What neither photo shows, there's a hobby machine shop, compressor, sink, all in the space between the RV and the back wall.
One of his neighbors was up in arms and called the city inspector out twice, but once the siding was up, it's really pretty.
Something else neat, their acre lot was a jungle, and now it's a series of garden patios, and everything is usable.
He also put the equity from a house he sold into this project.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Nice! I can tell he’s your friend, classic bikes! From what I can zoom. :)
TG05

Post by TG05 »

Malone all the way. Galvanized, 12" wheels, sealed bearings, and options like a collapsible tongue for upright storage. I bought the wider support bars and have carried 3 kayaks on it.
Attachments
trailer1.jpg
Dorado 1b.jpg