PELICAN CATCH 120 HATCH

jeffddouglas

PELICAN CATCH 120 HATCH

Post by jeffddouglas »

I have a newly purchased Pelican Catch 120 and the front hatch has the 2 locking handles. My question is, is there supposed to be a liner to this hatch or is it supposed to just be open to the inside of the hull? I would like to put some kind of liner in there so I can put stuff in there without having to tip the kayak upside down to retrieve it later. I also have a Brooklyn Kayak Company tandem and it has liners in the two storage hatches. Does anyone know of anything like that for the Catch 120 or a mod I can do? Thanks!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: PELICAN CATCH 120 HATCH

Post by Ron Mc »

There should be hang loops inside the hull on both sides of the hatch (T160)
I hang a net bag that will keep stuff, e.g., my 3-pc rod tubes, from sliding down the hull
other stuff, like the paddle in sock and pfd aren't going to slide down the hull
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

It's supposed to be open to the inside. The vast majority of SOT kayaks on the market will not have a tub in the front hatch. You can either do what Ron does (I do this too when I'm loading up for camping trips), use a some sort of bag, or get lucky and find a tupperware/storage container which will fit.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

They commonly make small hatches with tubs, like this keys, wallet and cellphone holder in the Heritage sternwell hatch.
They also make lap hatches with tubs, but I'd much rather have this access with hang loops and biners.
Big dry box, cigar dry box, small net bag for who knows what (spare reel?), policed drift sock, ready to grab and deploy on my trolley.