keeping a 3rd rod out of the way

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

keeping a 3rd rod out of the way

Post by Ron Mc »

this is pretty much the norm, and easy to fish - 2 rods, one front, one back - one rod in hand, the spare rod is most always in back

Next paddling trip, planning to take 2 rigged 7' baitcasters, and also want a rigged fly rod handy for opportunity.
Using standard Scotty and Tarpon hardware, came up with a way to keep the rigged fly rod out of the way for paddling and fishing, and still handy.
Mount the Scotty holder in the side of the base, and run the rod close and parallel to the gunwhale.
I'm sure you could make a Ram ball do this, but using what I had on hand.
The standard spin/fly rod holder makes a very secure cradle in this position, though I did have to tighten the holder with the teeth misaligned - but there's zero load on the rod.
May come up with something for an anti-rotation pin for the Scotty teeth gap.
Using the standard Tarpon paddle bungee to secure the rod, but don't want to squeeze and bend the rod hard into the gunwhale.
Simply added a cord loop into the webbing loop, so tension on the bungee is very low.
Keeps the rod loose but completely secure, and out of the way for paddling and fishing either of the other rods.

ps - figured out how to pin this so the misaligned Scotty holder won't slip
a pair of #6x1/2" pan heads with split lock washer in opposed grooves self-tap into the plastic, and keep the otherwise misaligned joint aligned
Image also broke out my small drill bits and added drain holes into the low corners of all those chambers
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: keeping a 3rd rod out of the way

Post by Ron Mc »

hard to see in the garage compared to sitting out in the bay
The rod sitting in the rocket launcher in the back is clipped to rod leash so it can be out of sight and out of mind.
Tried the rocket launcher up front on the bay one day and it was in the way of everything.
I have 2 other rod holder choices (the bait/spin and the fly/spin, and a 2nd boat that can wear them), but I like the rocket launcher combined with the leash best in this position.
The go-to rod position up front doesn't need a leash because it's always in mind.
And the rod's carrying a rod leash clip for swapping front to back
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 6#p2276106
3rd (and the point of this thread) the fly rod is low, close to the gunwhale and out of the way for everything