TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

Please Visit our Sponsor Hook1 Kayak Fishing Gear
By Ron Mc
Kalait wrote:Ron Mc, what are the clips you have on your red and yellow lines. You have the setup I have planned for my yak.

Scotty clips - Scotty 590 snap hook - you can buy them in a bag of 6
They have a slot for webbing, or 1mm lashing, but it has an easy guide to drill one or two 3/16" hole(s)
The same clips I'm using to attach the stern block through the bungee loop.
By TexasJim
Ron: My Pescador 12 trolley is almost identical to your rig, except I use a "S-Biner" instead of a ring for the anchor line. I can simply clip the line in from the side, rather than having to feed it thru a ring. The line feeds to a small horn cleat next to my seat, for easy adjustment. TexasJim
By Ron Mc
that works - maybe show a photo sometime
TexasJim wrote:Ron: My Pescador 12 trolley is almost identical to your rig, except I use a "S-Biner" instead of a ring for the anchor line. I can simply clip the line in from the side, rather than having to feed it thru a ring. The line feeds to a small horn cleat next to my seat, for easy adjustment. TexasJim

My Z-cleat arrived in today's mail.
I spent some time thinking about where to put it.
Since I aligned the fairleads to let the top line clear on either side of the lift handle, I finally decided to do the same thing with the Z-cleat, and it couldn't be better
Image the Z-cleat works with the top line on either side of the side carry handle, and it's a quick motion from the cockpit to either seat or free it

ps - I found a great place to buy hardware, such as blocks and cleats - they don't sell lines - and their basic shipping is $1.99
https://www.trapout.com/
By Ron Mc
other than a few clip-on peripherals, Redfish rigging is done.
Hardest reach of all was installing the stringer cleat, through the front hatch.
But I practiced it for two weeks and got the necessary 11/32" nut driver for the backing nyloks -
I installed the pressure washers with one finger, which was all that would reach.
Everything worked like clockwork when I tackled it tonight - didn't think twice about drilling the holes to begin.
Image btw, found a sale (SailRite) on Harken micro cam cleat + wire fairlead base kit, bought this for the price of either Shaffer or Nautos, and much less than Ronstan - also better springs in this cleat than Shaffer. Mounting this took at least 1-1/2" 8-32s, but the longer reach was made easier with a 2" No. 8.
I did learn something useful about drilling holes - 16 of them over this month-long rigging exercise - all backed with nyloks + bonded pressure-seal washers.
Before I drilled the first hole, was positioning parts with foam poster tape - it also makes the perfect drilling guide.
Stick a square of poster tape behind each faster hole and position the part - when you have it correct, press hard.
With your smallest drill bit, it's easy to eye-ball center, the foam tape keeps your drill bit from walking.
Remove the part and tape, and each bore-up will be perfectly concentric.
The part zips in place.
Since I have way more Scotty bases than rod holders, I ordered 2 Stealth QR-1(NB) rod holders, which look like an improvement over Soctty's bait/spin rod holder choices, and the post is copied to plug right into Scotty bases.
This guy has them in stock and can mail them right out, a slightly discounted price made up by the shipping cost.
Amazon was listing 1-2 month delivery - retail, free shipping plus tax that priced them a bit higher.
http://www.captmacks.com/store/product/ ... hout-base/
Marsh blast and cast

Ha. I used to really hate those things too :wink:[…]

like the fish, but I'd go with a shell and base la[…]

that's a fat one - good job, Glenn. Like I poste[…]

Luv your videos. No fluff. No politics. No phil[…]