Proper paddle length

yippee

Proper paddle length

Post by yippee »

Hello all, I finally bought a kayak, now I'm looking at paddles and a PFD. I've kind of looked at some size charts online to get a general idea, but wanted some more more feedback from someone with some experience. I'm 5'11" and just bought a Wilderness Ride 115X, which is listed at 33" on the specs. Pretty much everything I've seen lists me at a 240 paddle - does this sound about right? The kayak has the Max Pro seat with the high and low seating positions. I know you need a longer paddle for the higher seat positions. Should I get a longer paddle or just make sure to paddle from the lower position when I need to move locations.

Please let me know what length you think would be the best fit.

Thanks
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Proper paddle length

Post by Ron Mc »

that's not a terribly wide boat at 33" - you'll probably be at just right at 240 cm.
I'm 6'3", but since I'm all limbs, I probably sit close to the same height as you, and for my 28" wide Redfish, I can get by with a 215 cm paddle, which is only one inch shorter than a 240.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

Pssst! Ron, 10". 25cm is 10" (ish)

I'm 6'-0" and paddle a Jackson Cuda 12 at 31" wide. I just bought a 250 cm paddle and love it whether in the high or low seating position. For reference, I also tend to paddle from a chest-high reference line, so a longer paddle works better for me.Image

Kirk B.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

maybe the coffee will work - that's a big difference
I would probably stick with a 230 to keep the swing weight down.
I've never paddled a Ride, but it doesn't sit as tall as many of the boats made today.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Would think that a 230 would work just fine.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I'm 5' 11" and have a Ride 135 with just the standard low seat; it's 31.5". I use a 230cm paddle with it but feel like a slightly longer paddle would be better. So I would get a 240 at least and really a 250 if you think you'll be paddling in the high position with regularity as it would be the middle of the road length between the two seat positions.

I'd also look into paddles which can be telescoped in length. Accent, Bending Branches and Werner (and probably other brands, these are the three I know off the top of my head) offer paddles which telescope in length. Look for one in the range of 240-260 cm.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Neumie wrote:...
I'd also look into paddles which can be telescoped in length. Accent, Bending Branches and Werner (and probably other brands, these are the three I know off the top of my head) offer paddles which telescope in length. Look for one in the range of 240-260 cm.
this would be news

no endorsement here, but found this
https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-telescoping-paddles
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:
Neumie wrote:...
this would be news

no endorsement here, but found this
https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-telescoping-paddles
Werner makes the Shuna as an adjustable paddle; albeit a bit pricey at $300.

Bending Branches offers several models (and more) which telescope, they call them "plus" models, ranging price from $130 to $425.

Accent has a fishing line of paddles which are all adjustable and range in price from $115 to $460.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks
http://wernerpaddles.com/paddles/shuna
I always vote for keeping the weight down. Controlling the length also keeps the swing weight down.
Good observations here on using a paddle - http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3#p2274763
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:thanks
http://wernerpaddles.com/paddles/shuna
I always vote for keeping the weight down.
Good observations here on using a paddle - http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3#p2274763
I've been using the Accent Diamond Edge Helium bent shaft paddle for over 10 years now (weighs in at 26 oz) and absolutely love it.

Lightest paddle you can budget for lower swing weight, fiberglass or carbon fiber blades for rigidity (less energy loss due to flexing) , and proper paddling technique all make for an enjoyable day on the water.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

proper fit - at 205 cm, my daughter's Shuna barely weighs 20 ounces, even with bent shaft.
One of her kickboxing exercises is swinging a 25-lb weight on a rod of comparable length, so she freaks every time she picks up her paddle.
She's also the one to beat - will out-paddle anybody.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

yippee: I agree with Neumie(again). If you're going to use the high-low seat in the high position, a 250 cm paddle would probably work best.

As far as swing weight applies, most paddle makers concentrate on making their shafts out of carbon fiber and then use fiberglass or a combination of materials for the blades. They're putting the light material in the center and the heavier material at the ends. I bought a paddle from Pacific Designs in California that has ABS plastic blades and a 3-piece aluminum shaft, that is really light. My 230 cm paddle only weighs 29 ounces, and most of that is in the center. The guy will make you any length paddle, feathering or not, and has two blade sizes. I bought the T1 blades, the smaller ones, as my kayak only weighs 61 pounds, and I'm not a big guy. My paddle cost $114.00, plus postage!
A guy from Victoria used one in the Texas Water Safari with no problems, to illustrate the toughness of the paddles. I love mine. I really like the 3-piece design, which makes it easier to stow.

If you get a 100% carbon fiber paddle, no doubt you can get a low swing weight, but it's gonna cost several hundred dollars.

FYI TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

here's the thing - here's a Werner glass blade - you can read the chart through it.
all paddles are not created equal.

I have a bent-shaft all-carbon Camano, 215cm, and a glass-blade straight shaft Coreyvecken, 220 cm, the largest blade area made on any paddle, and the two paddles weigh exactly the same. A case of buying a faster boat with a tiny amount of added swing weight, as well as saving $200.
I can keep up with my buddy's Mirage drive 16' Revo in my T160 with this paddle, and can't with my Camano.
I love both paddles and might like the Camano better at the end of a long day, but it's in my bow hold - in one of those nice ACK protective paddle bags. Nicely, either paddle with fit there, way up in the bow.