Who Here Uses The BIXPY System

Unreal

Who Here Uses The BIXPY System

Post by Unreal »

I'm looking to buy a trolling motor for my kayak, I keep seeing Bixpy full kit. Also look in to others but all they have is a bracket and trolling m I'll tor, I dont have 12v power on my kayak. So I want to know if going with Bixpy is a better option.
yakattak_jake

Re: Who Here Uses The BIXPY System

Post by yakattak_jake »

Sorry ahead of time! I have a bit to say.... For comparison, I use a 45# thrust minn kota and an optima blue top 75 ah battery to power (weight combined: ~90 lbs). I only went this route since my kayak (KC Kayak KC12) came pre-mounted with a transom mount for a standard minn kota. Cost around $600 but requires a bit to implement compared to Bixpy kits

I was recently checking out the Bixpy system, thinking it might be faster, but the data and videos I’ve watched show they perform the same runtime and speed as my current rig. What did impress me though, Bixpy kits are a bit more turn-key than mine, but they are slightly more expensive (~$1,000), but not terrible like a Torqueedo. Honestly, I feel it’s a good option to go Bixpy since the other routes like the Torqueedo system (super pricey but very nice) or a 2.5 hp gas motor (loud and more maintenance).

You may want to check out Island Hopper Outboards for a standard trolling motor that’s catered to a kayak. And I believe they sell kits to install mounts. http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com

Another cool option would be checking out Kayak Buddy outboards. They are a gas motor but they are small and light. http://www.kayakbuddys.com

Sorry for my long windedness...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

$1100-1800, gotta admit, those rudder-controlled trolling motors are pretty slick.
TG05

Post by TG05 »

Check out the "Viking Kayak Owners Group" page on FaceBook. There are some pretty cool videos of Viking kayaks equipped with the Bixpy. Battery life and kayak speed look pretty impressive. The Viking web site states:

Low speed 2-4kph, battery life approx 7 hours (20-30km paddle assisted)
Mid speed 6kph, battery life approx 3 hours
Full speed up to 10kph, battery life approx 1:15 hours (Depending on kayak model and weight)