Fish finder selection

yippee

Fish finder selection

Post by yippee »

Hello all, getting closer to pulling the trigger on my kayak finally, now comes all the questions about rigging it. One of my main questions is the fish finder. As all of you know, there's a plethora of options for fish finders, I'm just trying to weed through all that. What's needed, what's not? What's nice to have, what's not necessary? And when it boils down to it, what fish finder do you use, which ones do you like?

I see older stuff where a lot of people seem to be using the Lowrance Elite 4, which seems to be discontinued now. Is that because it was taller as opposed to wider (like a lot of the ones I see in today's market), and they are less intrusive on our consoles or the side rails of our boats? Are they that good that I should try to track down an old stock one somewhere?

What would you buy or recommend in today's market and availability? Are the wider fish finders going to be in the way all the time?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fish finder selection

Post by kickingback »

Depends on your eyes and the kind of fishing you will be doing on what water.
If you want to see out to the side with side imaging that works well on deeper (over 5 feet) of water. It helps to locate structure on either side of the kayak up to 150 feet out. Saves on having to scan down and do searches back and forth to find structure. It costs more but saves time.
Bigger screens re great to see the small fish "signs" on your screen, especially if your eyes are and need glasses to see. I for one do to read and see up close and I hate putting them on and off while fishing so i have a bigger screen. You can get by with a 7" screen fine. Get a larger if you need to see it farther away if mounted or smaller if mounted close so you can see it better closer. It is a personal thing.
Different brands for everyone as well. I use Humminbird Helix 5, others swear by Garmin or Lowrance. Best to go to store like Bass Pro and test each unit up close before you buy.
Simplicity is the best.
I have mine all portable. I can attach and detach to any kayak with a rail system. I bring it and a small battery and I am good.
Good luck!