Paddles

Bow-Yak

Paddles

Post by Bow-Yak »

I have a 6’3” arm reach, my paddle is about 6’6”, should I be using a longer paddle? I know the fiberglass or carbon paddles will be lighter and less stress for long days. I’m not sure if one brand B.B. , Carlisle etc is really better than others? What’s your thoughts?

Land or Sea Blessed by Thee!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Paddles

Post by Ron Mc »

the main thing about a good paddle is more of your work moves the boat and less of it bends the paddle or creates turbulence in the water.

Having been through a few high-end paddles, I'm sold on Werner, and very hard to beat this:
https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... BKIQ2SsIDw
make sure you look at individual prices at backcountry on this list

I'm 6'3" and all limbs, but I sit short, my boat is narrow, 28", and I can get by with a 215 or 220 cm paddle, which also keeps both swing weight and overall weight low.
Springing for $200 more, the all-carbon paddles are shockingly lightweight, and bent-shaft instantly puts your hands in the right place and reduces irritation on your thumb knuckles, but the paddle I linked, glass blade and carbon shaft, is almost certainly the biggest bang for the buck in paddles.
Werner Camano fans?

If you want the absolute largest blade made, it's the Werner Coreyvecken - I have one of each, like them both, and no question the Coreyvecken is faster with a more aggressive stroke, but the Camano may still have an efficiency edge over a long day.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Thanks, I will check them out. I’m sure, speaking for a lot of newbies and other yakers I appreciate your help on various topics.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

also, the paddle bag that ACK sells is first-rate for protecting your high-grade paddle blades in storage and transport
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/19 ... 78QAvD_BwE

this one from NRS looks good, too
https://www.outdoorplay.com/nrs-kayak-p ... HYQAvD_BwE

As far as the paddle length question, whatever causes you to sit higher off the water, your torso length and your seat height adds to the length you need in a paddle. Increasing boat width does the same.
It's not about your arm length. Werner used to have the best calculator ever on their website, but quit doing that, I guess as boats got wider and taller.

6'6" paddle length, btw, comes out to 200 cm, and that paddle length is probably too short for you.
What model is your kayak, what's the beam (width?) and is the seat height adjustable?
If you're sitting low in a narrow or "normal" width kayak, you can probably get by with 220 to 230 cm.
If you kayak is stand-up wide with a sit-up high seat, you likely need 240-260 cm.

As I mentioned above, sitting low in a Tarpon, my paddles are 215 and 220 cm, and are great.
My daughter with her shorter sit height and 30" beam uses a 205 cm and it's perfect.
and freaking-perfect form - this girl charges at whatever she does
Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Sorry for late reply, OK Prowler13, seat does not adjust up I like lower center of gravity. My paddle is 7’9” I found out after measuring it. It is a Bending Branch paddle not sure if I need to replace it or not. Headed out for my third trip Wednesday the 29th to Kemah hoping I can pay more attention to the operation and not just getting it done.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

that's a 240 cm paddle, marginally too long for your boat and seating position.
Good paddle, though.
Go to an ACK demo days and try a Werner Camano and see if you like it better.
Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Ron Mc wrote:that's a 240 cm paddle, marginally too long for your boat and seating position.
Good paddle, though.
Go to an ACK demo days and try a Werner Camano and see if you like it better.
Yeah I’m thinking about that, it’s coming up soon. I am normally getting into my bow hunting routine , preparing to mow, plant, filling feeders,etc this time of the year. Since I am overloaded with doe around the house I may let it wait and plan on the ACK Demo days. Two doe a year will be enough for my wife and I if I can package some fish.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

we had a blast in San Marcos last year. I got to sail the 19' Adventure Island trimaran with a crew of 3, and my buddy brought home a Revo 16' for $1100 less than retail - it had a fairly unobtrusive $1000 crease in it plus 5% discount. Also great fishing talk with the Hobie Team. The Adventure Island is a fun boat, heads up really high for a single cat sail, and tacks like a single-hull, especially since you can use Mirage Drive while coming about.
We also made a stop at Underground Pizza in New Braunfels - highly recommended.