Replacing a mount in center console Ascend FS12T...

s1rGr1nG0

Replacing a mount in center console Ascend FS12T...

Post by s1rGr1nG0 »

I have an old style Ascend FS12T that has the molded in foot pads instead of the kind that slide lock.
Looking at some Google images I can see that they came with a Scotty mount rod holder in the center console up towards the front hatch.
On my yak one of the previous owners has removed that holder and now there are just 4 holes left where it mounted. I can reach this spot no problem by removing the front hatch and I have a new mount to install there, no worries.

However, a previous owner has also installed another mount further back toward the seat. It looks like it would be right about knee level if I'm sitting in the yak. This mount is missing one of the screws and I actually just want to replace the entire mount with a new one anyway. My problem is that where it is mounted I won't be able to reach it from underneath by going through the front hatch, my arms need to be about 2 feet longer than they are. :D

I do have a rivet tool but will that work to install a Scotty mount?The mounts are a little deep and would the rivet tool be able to mount through the holes? I measured it last night and the holes are an exact match for the mount I have so the size shouldn't be an issue. I just need a way to secure it in place without being able to reach it from underneath.

That make sense?
SWFinatic

Re: Replacing a mount in center console Ascend FS12T...

Post by SWFinatic »

Here's a link to a YT video that should help you out depending on what kind of mount you have. Sorry I don't know how to include the link the right way but you can copy and paste the link and it should take you to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRkCE-GlZcg
TexasJim

Re: Replacing a mount in center console Ascend FS12T...

Post by TexasJim »

I do stuff like that all the time. If there is access behind the mounting spot, just duct tape a box end wrench to a broomstick or dowel, affix a nut in the box end with masking tape, and get a helper to stick the screw through and thread and tighten it while you hold the nut/wrench assembly. When you pull the wrench away, the masking tape will tear loose. Repeat until done. I've even cut a narrow slit in in a bulkhead to stick the wrench through. Almost nothing's impossible!
Good luck! TexasJim