Waxing boats

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Waxing boats

Post by Ron Mc »

I've always used 303 Protectant on boats (and bicycle tire sidewalls and brake hoods).
But especially on boats, it cleans them and slicks them up - it slicks up the hull, and protects the top from UV.
My daughter states she notices the difference in how her boat glides, and never fails to complain if her boat has not been waxed.

I recently tried this coating, Mr. Hard Water, on the bottom of our boats, after I googled kayak wax products.
With 7 or 9 years of bottom rash, things you can do to slick up the bottom of your boat are noticeable.
The retail price for 8 oz is $35, and that's enough for 2 coats on 2 hulls. But I found it for $17 on ebay, and that was enough to make me try it. I like the slick finish it puts on the hull.

Other things you can do that may sound silly are use a clothes iron on the bottom of your boat to soften the edges of deep scratches and rough spots - it works.
You can also chase that with a razor to cut the thread-like stringies that partially peel off along cuts.
I did both recently to two boats before I applied the Mr. Hard Water. Both hulls feel really nice after the treatment.
Will still use 303 on top of the boats before heading out on our next trip - always around - will not run out of 303.

Anyone with suggestions, please offer.