You were so much help yesterday, I thought I would ask another question.

Michael Meyer

You were so much help yesterday, I thought I would ask another question.

Post by Michael Meyer »

First, I want to say thank you for the help I received yesterday. I was able to install the rod holder and not mess up my wife's car. :D Since I got through that task without any lasting damage, I thought I would ask for some more help.

My wife and I are getting older (69 and 65) and we are trying to simplify the task of hooking up boats and going fishing. I think it would help a lot if I could figure out a way to transport our kayak paddles by attaching them to our kayak trailer instead of placing them in the inside of our SUV (they are so long you have to lower the second seat and they still protrude between the driver and passenger).

We us a Malone Microsport trailer to transport two Wilderness Ride 115s. Here is a picture of the trailer and the kayak mounts showing how it looks.
461gs.jpg
461gs.jpg (21.24 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
I was thinking about storing the paddles under the kayaks and securing them by bolting some type of attaching mechanism to the cross braces on the frame. I have put four red circles where I was thinking about attaching some type of hold down device.

My question is what type of hold down device can I use to securely hold the paddles during transport. Preferably, it would be something that would hold the paddles securely but would easily release the paddles when we get to our fishing location.

I think that will make the chore of packing and unpacking a lot easier.

Thanks for any help.
461gs.jpg
461gs.jpg (28.74 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: You were so much help yesterday, I thought I would ask another question.

Post by texnomad »

What I have seen that I like is a long box of the size you can fit into that area between the supports that hold the paddles, PFDs and whatever else you might fit into it. Maybe even some fishing rods. I will see if I can find a picture of something like I tried to describe.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Like this[img]
trailer box.JPG
trailer box.JPG (19.22 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
[/img] is what I tried to describe.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

In the Rigging section of the forumn is a thread called something to the effect of "Show us your trailer" that has beau coup ideas for setting up storage space.
I could easily see a plywood box sitting between those same uprights to hold paddles and life jackets and other assorted sundries. With a couple of cheap hasps, you could even put locks on it.

Kirk B.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

Lol. Beat me to it!

Kirk B.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Much easier to copy some one else. That box on the trailer looks killer but not long enough for my fishing rods. I made one out of PVC lumber purchased at Lowe's.
See you next week.
Tom