Registering kayak without title

nuts4hotwheels

Registering kayak without title

Post by nuts4hotwheels »

I have a kayak, well it’s more like a plastic boat. How do I register it without a title or certificate of origin from manufacturer. I bought it on Craigslist about 4 years ago and have NO paperwork at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Registering kayak without title

Post by Neumie »

You will have a difficult time without a bill of sale or any other proof of ownership.

Could you contact the manufacturer and have them send you a new MSO?
SkyMantis

Post by SkyMantis »

You do not have to register a kayak in Tx as long as its human powered. If you are using an electric or gas motor on it, then you would have to register it.
nuts4hotwheels

Post by nuts4hotwheels »

SkyMantis wrote:You do not have to register a kayak in Tx as long as its human powered. If you are using an electric or gas motor on it, then you would have to register it.
Yes, I know. I am wanting to put a trolling motor on it.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

put the kayak in your garage or out of the light. Then use a hand held light source and go around the stern and bow and look for etched letters or numbers in the plastic. Most kayaks put the serial numbers or other manufacturer marks to identify for this purpose. I had to locate mine on my Hobie and it blends so well that was the only way to view it and take photo for my registration for my TM.
nuts4hotwheels

Post by nuts4hotwheels »

Well, actually my father-in-law bought it from Craigslist for us to share. Would it help if he sold it to me and provided a bill of sale. It doesn’t even have serial number that I can find.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That will work! It only needs a seller and buyer and if it was not registered before you can etch in your own ID and give it to registration. As long as he signs a bill of sale for you. I had to take a photo of my number so just write it on or etch and take a photo for them. Call it "nuts4fishing" or "slamyak" or "N4HW0001"
nuts4hotwheels

Post by nuts4hotwheels »

kickingback wrote:That will work! It only needs a seller and buyer and if it was not registered before you can etch in your own ID and give it to registration. As long as he signs a bill of sale for you. I had to take a photo of my number so just write it on or etch and take a photo for them. Call it "nuts4fishing" or "slamyak" or "N4HW0001"

I have an engraver so I can actually engrave a “VIN” on it.