Hobie sail kit question

JFoster

Hobie sail kit question

Post by JFoster »

I need y'alls opinion on this subject. I brought a Hobie sail kit from a coworker. Should i install it on my ocean kayak prowler or should i resale it? Yes i know I'll have to make a mount for it.
Fishtolive

Re: Hobie sail kit question

Post by Fishtolive »

I am a DIY person too and I think you can mount the stabilizers but could not think how can you mount the sail. But if you can do it then please post the picture to share.
Million thanks in Advance
JFoster

Post by JFoster »

Well my kayak has 2 scupper holes up front several inches past my feet. I can easily use a pvc t fitting, 2 90* and a little bit of straight for it to mount

The sail kit only consists of the sail, pole and tie line. Sa.e as the ones sold online. I shouldnt have much of a problem staying upright with out outriggers
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Just a word of caution since I don’t know your exact plan.
If your scupper holes will be the main anchor point for the sail then please be careful because the wind force on the sail can cause a lot of stress to the scupper holes which potentially can create an unfixable leak in the scupper holes.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I wouldn't mount using you're scuppers.

You're going to need outriggers to stay upright, but even then you're going to have control issues due to the lack of a dagger board and thin rudder blade.

Also if you have a prowler 15, you'll need to register the kayak then.

What year is your prowler?