Ascend Fs128t transducer location??

Jamesdonaldson7

Ascend Fs128t transducer location??

Post by Jamesdonaldson7 »

Hey guys, I just bought a Garmin striker 4 fish finder for my kayak but I’m not sure we’re to put the transducer. All opinions will help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kirk B.

Re: Ascend Fs128t transducer location??

Post by Kirk B. »

Are you looking to mount it inside or outside? I only know the Ascends from reaserching for an upgrade last year, but the requirements are the same for most transducers.

Kirk B.
Jamesdonaldson7

Either, I know I can make something to hang it over the side but I don’t know if it would be better to mount it in the hull.

Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

I have mine inside, where I know it's protected. There is probably a minor loss in signal strength, but I can live with that. I also lose the water temp feature until everything balances, but again, I can live with that. Not what I bought it for, lol.
To mount inside, all you need is flat and horizontal. Flat is negotiable, but horizontal will affect your depth readings.
I put in a generous glob of Lexel clear caulk (it dries clearer than silicone sealer), making sure there are no bubbles in it. Push the transducer down in the middle of the caulk, making sure that the caulk is well up the sides of the thansducer. Let it sit for a couple of days to allow it to cure all of the way thru. You also need to make sure the cable doesn't pull the transducer out of level.
That's really all there is to it.

Kirk B.
Jamesdonaldson7

Kirk B. wrote:I have mine inside, where I know it's protected. There is probably a minor loss in signal strength, but I can live with that. I also lose the water temp feature until everything balances, but again, I can live with that. Not what I bought it for, lol.
To mount inside, all you need is flat and horizontal. Flat is negotiable, but horizontal will affect your depth readings.
I put in a generous glob of Lexel clear caulk (it dries clearer than silicone sealer), making sure there are no bubbles in it. Push the transducer down in the middle of the caulk, making sure that the caulk is well up the sides of the thansducer. Let it sit for a couple of days to allow it to cure all of the way thru. You also need to make sure the cable doesn't pull the transducer out of level.
That's really all there is to it.

Kirk B.
Thanks!

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I use the Scotty transducer arm and can move my Helix 5 from one kayak to another. I have both a 128T and a PA 14
TG05

Post by TG05 »

I use a Mad Frog Liberator transducer arm. Easy peasy, and it is made to swing up out of the water.
Attachments
Mad Frog transducer arm3 copy.jpg
Mad Frog transducer arm1 copy.jpg
Jamesdonaldson7

kickingback wrote:I use the Scotty transducer arm and can move my Helix 5 from one kayak to another. I have both a 128T and a PA 14
Will it interfere with the transducer, when you disturb the water while paddling?

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

No. I let mine hang below the bottom of the kayak and it is set in front of my mirage drive so that I get good side scans from both sides without obstruction.
The arm does make a small wake at 2-4 mph but doe snot effect the sonar as the arm is hard plastic that will bend but it does not ever seem to break on me no matter how many times I ground the transducer on a sand bar or ramp.
I just swing the arm up to get it out of the way of the bottom when launching and recovering.
what's cool is I can turn the ducer sideways on the arm and see 150 IN FRONT and behind me! Cool view but can throw your bearings off some if not thinking.
This is my old arm until I went with the track system and a Scotty track mount for the transducer arm.

Here is the Scotty I use...
Jamesdonaldson7

Imagei was looking at this one because I seems to be a fair price, and it looks as if it snap down in my Scotty rod holder

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yep thought of going with that one until I decide on the tracks. You will not be sorry.
Jamesdonaldson7

kickingback wrote:Yep thought of going with that one until I decide on the tracks. You will not be sorry.
Awesome I’m ordering it right now. Thanks for the help man I appreciate it!