Long Distance Trailer Trip

GPyakker

Long Distance Trailer Trip

Post by GPyakker »

I'd appreciate any thoughts, opinions, and/or advice. I plan to be a snowbird this year and drive from NJ to Fl for a few months. I'd like to take two kayaks - both 13' - and two bicycles. I could tie the yaks on top of my Outback and the bikes on a trailer hitch mount. My preferred option would be to mount everything on a small, modified HF trailer. Total weight would be no more than 300 lbs.
My question is whether the trailer, which is new and has freshly packed bearings on 12" tires, can survive the 1,000 mile trip - most of which is on an interstate at 70 mph. Am I kidding myself or do you think this is feasible???
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Re: Long Distance Trailer Trip

Post by hipshot »

It's entirely feasible. My first SoloSkiff trailer, modified to haul my Solo and two kayaks, was a HF folding trailer w/ 12" wheels. With the boats, outboard, and the superstructure holding the yaks over the Solo I was hauling about 400 pounds on it. It got dragged all over Texas with never a hitch. You're good to go.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I use a Harbor Freight trailer with 12" tires and I have to change the bearings once a year. The tires are the biggest issue. Some just dont handle the road well for long distances over 4k miles. I buy a special LRD 8 rated tire and so far they have lasted well over 6k without any visible tread wear.
The standard tires that come with them are usually rated C or D but the ply rating is from 4 -5. The higher the rating means more ply for strength. All my old C and D tires with 4-5 ply would blow out from wear and bubbled up at the wear spots and blew easily.
These 8 ply are what I use now and are great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-30-12-LRD- ... 1438.l2649
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

GPyakker wrote:I'd appreciate any thoughts, opinions, and/or advice. I plan to be a snowbird this year and drive from NJ to Fl for a few months. I'd like to take two kayaks - both 13' - and two bicycles. I could tie the yaks on top of my Outback and the bikes on a trailer hitch mount. My preferred option would be to mount everything on a small, modified HF trailer. Total weight would be no more than 300 lbs.
My question is whether the trailer, which is new and has freshly packed bearings on 12" tires, can survive the 1,000 mile trip - most of which is on an interstate at 70 mph. Am I kidding myself or do you think this is feasible???
Should be no problem. To easy your mind mount a trailer spare, jack and lug wrench for the trailer. Every time you stop to fill up feel how warm the hubs are. Should be just a little noticeable warm. Have a safe trip.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I second the motion on a spare tire and try to get at least a 12" rim.
GPyakker

Post by GPyakker »

Thanks for the replies! Definitely adding a spare and tools. I'll probably repack the bearings before I head back north at the end of March. I'm also considering upgrading the 4 ply tires to 6 ply. ETrailer even has a radial version that is DOT speed rated for 81 mph! Maybe I can cut an hour off my trip at that speed (ha,ha).
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

For those of us using Harbor Freight trailers I received a Safety Recall Notice 17V-638 for problems with some 12" Innova Ultra Runner and 8" Far East brands trailer tires sold from January 2014 through September 2017. Replacement tires should be in Harbor Freight stores beginning December 13, 2017 and if your trailer tires are part of the recall you will need to bring them to Harbor Freight.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/R ... 8-6593.PDF
October 9, 2017 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 17V638000
Tires may have Insufficient Strength/FMVSS 119
If the tires cannot meet the strength requirements, the tires may fail, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V638000
Manufacturer Harbor Freight Tools
Components TIRES
Potential Number of Units Affected 95,237
Summary
Harbor Freight Tools (Harbor Freight) is recalling certain 2014-2017 Haul Master Heavy Duty Folding Trailers, Utility Trailers, Super Duty Trailers, Tag-Along Trailers, and Folding Utility Trailers. The tires on these trailers may not be strong enough to support the expected loads. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 119, "New Pneumatic Tires-Other than Passenger Cars."

Remedy
Harbor Freight will notify owners, and stores will provide replacement tires mounted on rims, free of charge. The recall began on December 5, 2017. Owners may contact Harbor Freight customer service at 1-800-444-3353.

Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

4 Affected Products
Vehicle MAKE MODEL YEAR
HAUL MASTER UTILITY TRAILER 2014-2017
GPyakker

Post by GPyakker »

Thanks for the heads up. No question now about upgrading the tires!