pedal drive or trolling motor??

the fish finder

pedal drive or trolling motor??

Post by the fish finder »

should i spend $2000 on a new pedal drive kayak or upgrade a perception pescador with a trolling motor?
Tallgrass07

Re: pedal drive or trolling motor??

Post by Tallgrass07 »

Do you want to deal with a battery and registering your kayak?
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Tallgrass07 wrote:Do you want to deal with a battery and registering your kayak?
The extra weight of the battery and having to have not only the 360deg white light but the nav lights in the front too for going out at night.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Depends on the type of fishing you want to do or how much fishing you wan to do versus peddling to a new spot.
I have a Hobie PA14. I have a TM.
When I go on long trips where there is little waves or wind and I am fishing in fairly deep (3' or more) of water I use the TM. I always carry my mirage drive as well in case the TM breaks.
I only use the mirage drive and paddle when I go BTB or in heavy wind and wave action. The extra weight makes more water come over side as well as the extra weight causing more drag in water.
I can tell you that having the mirage drive it helps to let you fish with both hands while moving around. The TM gives me more flexibility as I do not have to sit up and peddle while also throwing lures. The more you can concentrate on the fishing rather than the kayak then you are doing well.
I use a 100 AH battery for my 24lb TM and get over 12 hours of mostly constant use easy. The battery weighs 70lbs and the TM weighs about 10 lbs.
You have more to maintain with a TM and you have to keep it from getting soaked if you turtle.
No worries with standard kayak with mirage or peddles or just a paddle.
I personally am saving for another kayak that is 12'-14', sleek for cutting through the water easier, and lightweight to take anywhere easily to use for BTB and very skinny waters.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'm going to add the Pescador is such a glide-efficient and wind-cheating kayak, why lumber it with a trolling motor.

If you want the plastic bass boat, go for that and keep the Pescador for paddling.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Ron Mc wrote:I'm going to add the Pescador is such a glide-efficient and wind-cheating kayak, why lumber it with a trolling motor.

If you want the plastic bass boat, go for that and keep the Pescador for paddling.
i agree, unless storage is an issue. if you can only have one, then really consider what you want to do the majority of the time.