I don't want to start a s*** storm. I just want to be legal.

Michael Meyer

I don't want to start a s*** storm. I just want to be legal.

Post by Michael Meyer »

My wife and I have WS Ride 115s. I want to put the bare minimum light on each kayak so that we are Coast Guard legal when we go out 30 - 45 minutes before sunrise. We fish the flats around Aransas Pass (e.g. we like to launch at B&R Flats, the Aransas Queen dock and Sailboat Channel. We are not too worried about PBs except when we are crossing the channel (e.g. Shrimp Boat Channel, etc.). I am looking for a light and a way to mount it so that: (1) it is legal, and (2) it is easily removed when we are not using it.

I am a visual guy so pictures are appreciated.

And thanks for the help.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Re: I don't want to start a s*** storm. I just want to be legal.

Post by hipshot »

There are several options which include a light on a pole which mounts in / on a rodholder, Scotty base, or Railblaza base that I have seen, and I am sure that I haven't seen them all. The Visicarbon unit breaks down to a handily stowable package, and the one I have will work with a rodholder or a Scotty base. I use a Railblaza unit on the Soloskiff. I am unable to post photographs, but you can see either one in catalogs. You can make one with PVC and a light; the one I made has a coupling and a pin which allows me to break it down for stowing in a hatch.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Been using an Attwood Portable Navigation Light Kit for a couple of years now. The light works well and is lightweight, easy to attach and lasts a long time on 3 AAA batteries. I took the mounting rod (that comes with it) and attached it to a length of PVC using a small stainless nut and bolt. The PVC then fits nicely into one of the rod holders on my crate (which is all mounted at the rear of my PA). I purchased the light kit at a local Walmart for less than $30 but the kits are available online from multiple sellers.

https://www.ebay.com/i/201955616199?chn=ps&dispItem=1

NOTE: I also carry a very bright led light on my person and use it when boat traffic approaches. I will flash it once or twice towards an oncoming boat as a precaution (am not relying solely on any 360 light!).

Hope this helps
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I went ahead and bought a starport (made by Railblaza) and mounted it behind the seat. I bought the collapsible 360 light that Yak Gear sells and placed a Railblaza star mount on the bottom so that it will fit perfectly on the starport. The 360 light I have is around $80.00. It takes a few AA batteries and lasts forever! Even though the light cost is kind of expensive, it's well worth it to me. The case that stores the light becomes a flag when the light is set up. Also, the fact that it breaks down makes it very easy to stow below the hatch. As you know on a kayak, having enough room becomes a necessity while out on the water.

If you are looking for something less expensive, Drifting Yak's works well and is cost efficient if my memory serves me right. I've seen his setup so I am not just speaking from what he has written in this post.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Military grade glow sticks, I buy them by the box. Attached to my kayaks for predawn travel. A glow stick on a PVC pole at the correct height is 360 degree visible. Just remember it is for "visibility" not a spot light.
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

A white light visible from 360 degrees, and probably visible for 2 miles. There are plenty of build-it-yourself videos on YouTube. I use a VisiCarbon Pro mounted in a Scotty flush mount. A little pricey but well-made, easy on and easy off, collapsible and stores in the orange flag, and it floats.
Attachments
yak Tuttle.jpg
themadhunter

Post by themadhunter »

Just out of curiosity why would you take your light up and down during fishing hours?
I'm getting back into kayak fishing and never ran a light on my first rig because I never left pre light. This time I'll be adding one, trying to get out sooner to my locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I might be off a little but I believe the Rail Blaza anchor light is the only Coast Guard approved 360 light for kayaks.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Tombo wrote:I might be off a little but I believe the Rail Blaza anchor light is the only Coast Guard approved 360 light for kayaks.
Don't start... :horse:
SaltStrong

Post by SaltStrong »

I would suggest the Visicarbon system as well, along with the Visipole. The Visipole just doesn't collapse down into the small bundle the Visicarbon style does. Thus it keeps you legal for a lower price ~$35.
bigbuzzard

Re: RE: I don't want to start a s*** storm. I just want to be legal.

Post by bigbuzzard »

Michael Meyer wrote:My wife and I have WS Ride 115s. I want to put the bare minimum light on each kayak so that we are Coast Guard legal when we go out 30 - 45 minutes before sunrise. We fish the flats around Aransas Pass (e.g. we like to launch at B&R Flats, the Aransas Queen dock and Sailboat Channel. We are not too worried about PBs except when we are crossing the channel (e.g. Shrimp Boat Channel, etc.). I am looking for a light and a way to mount it so that: (1) it is legal, and (2) it is easily removed when we are not using it.

I am a visual guy so pictures are appreciated.

And thanks for the help.
I used a light I got from Amazon.

Kayalu WaterTorch 360° Kayak Light | Boat Work Light | Handheld Torch | Suction Base | Portable Bright White LED
I mounted it on a pvc pole with my bike flag. I had to replace the one I bought at academy. I got this because it's coast guard compliant. I put a piece of 1" pvc in my rear area and just slip it in like using a rod holder. I also put a pool noodle on just in case. I started using this setup because a very few boaters don't pay attention. I have found the majority of boaters slow down when they pass by. Especially during the week. Weekend is when I see the dangerous boaters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk