Lite weight kayak thoughts, opinions and recommendations

colby1979

Lite weight kayak thoughts, opinions and recommendations

Post by colby1979 »

Hey Guys and Gals, im looking to purchase a new yak that is lighter weight and easy for one person to manuver. My first yak was a preception pescador (which I should have kept) and my second was a pro angler 12 which I sold as half the places I fish on the Rio Grande are not accessible with a trailer. What im looking for is something in the 10-12' range that can be loaded onto a lifted Toyota Landcruiser roof rack by one person, so im thinking something in 50-60lb range? I've done a little searching here but about all ive really come up with so far is the Moken 10 lite and the Viking profish lite. Between those two im more partial to the moken as its a little shorter, less expensive and I like the wheel in the keel feature. I know there are lots of new kayak brands and models available but unfortunately im about 500 miles from any major dealers to demo at.

So, what are your thoghts on the two mentioned above and do ya'll know of any other decent options? Also, this will be used for a 50/50 mix of saltwater and river fishing, maybe 3 or 4 trips a year if I'm lucky.

Thanks!
Colby
Coldspring

Re: Lite weight kayak thoughts, opinions and recommendations

Post by Coldspring »

Eddyline (sp) and Hurricane both make light weight kayaks. Jackson and Wilderness Systems both offer a limited selection of their kayaks in a light weight version. Be prepared they are NOT CHEAP. There are probably others but these are what I can think of right now.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

If you can find one, Native Ultimate Tegris. 12' length and 36 pounds. What I prefer is the newer cradle style seats and I think none of the above have that seat. But then I am probably a lot older than you 8)
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

A buddy used to have a 14' Hurricane. It was about ten pounds (IIRC) lighter than my Trident 13, but the difference felt like twice that. Especially at the end of the day. The boat paddled fast and easy, and I really liked it. I have no idea how the hull would stand up to oysters, but if you're in fresh water that should be a non-issue anyway. And Greg fished around oysters often, so I imagine it would hold up well. He had to sell it because it wouldn't fit inside the toy hauler he bought, and I recall that he sure hated to part with it.
colby1979

Post by colby1979 »

Thanks Coldspring, Tombo and Hipshot. I'll do some searching for those models. Ive found some discontinued models that fit the bill but the only way to find them is on the used market and those sellers don't ship, sometimes it kind of sucks living in the middle of nowhere....

Anyone paddled or have any opinions on the Moken 10 lite?
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

Thermoformed yaks are lighter than the rotomolded ones, and Hurricane, Necky, Old Town, and others have kayaks in the 45-55 lb range. The Native Ultimate 12 is a rotomolded SINK that weighs only 49 lbs. The Viking Profish 400 is a SOT that weighs only 57 lbs.
kgraber

Post by kgraber »

I have had a Moken 14 and currently have a Profish 400 Lite. Obviously the 14 is bigger than the 10 but I didn't like it due to the weight and it was slow. I love the Profish because it's light and fast. That said, I'll be selling mine since I just upgraded to an Old Town Predator MK. I'd say go with the Viking.
colby1979

Post by colby1979 »

Hey Kgraber, thanks for the info on the moken, ive read mostly positive reviews on them but did hear mention of them being on the slow side.

I like the idea of the Viking profish lite but have been hesitant at the 12-1,300 price tag as ive already had a high dollar yak that barely got used.

When do you plan to sell your profish lite and where are you located?
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

hobie!!!! oh, you said light not porcelain tub . nevermind :D
colby1979

Post by colby1979 »

Yep, already hade a Hobie PA12, awesome boat but WAY to heavy and hard to transport.
rsdroid

Post by rsdroid »

colby1979 wrote: Anyone paddled or have any opinions on the Moken 10 lite?
I just got a 10 lite and I'm loving it. However, it's my first yak, and I've only paddled a few others, so not much to compare to, but so far I think it paddles very well. Have had it out twice a week since I got and it's super easy to maneuver in and out of the water. I don't think it's too slow, especially as my paddling technique gets better, but I'm sure there's faster yaks.

I'm a petite, athletic female, so being able to load it and handle it by myself was important and it's been very easy, although I'm loading it into a truck bed, not racking it. The wheel in the keel definitely helps, but it works best with both hands on the handle to keep it balanced.

Most of my fishing is freshwater, but I do plan to take it in the bays on the coast. May even experiment with it just off the beach one day. As I learn it and as my paddling technique gets better, should just be easier and easier. Can already turn it on a dime and easily keep up with and pass my friend in his regular Moken 10.
kgraber

Post by kgraber »

colby1979 wrote:Hey Kgraber, thanks for the info on the moken, ive read mostly positive reviews on them but did hear mention of them being on the slow side.

I like the idea of the Viking profish lite but have been hesitant at the 12-1,300 price tag as ive already had a high dollar yak that barely got used.

When do you plan to sell your profish lite and where are you located?
I actually need to get pictures and get it up. It'll come with Werner paddle, Viking Rudder, Gone Fishing Kayak seat, Garmin Striker 4 DV, Railblaza transducer arm and battery. I'm located in Spring. Was thinking $850 for everything. It's the blue one. Has some normal rash but still in great shape.
colby1979

Post by colby1979 »

That sounds like a nice setup and is in my price range. When you get some pics cand you send them to ocotillo_outfitting at h0tma1l d0t c0m? By any chance will you be in the Port A area in the end of August?
kgraber

Post by kgraber »

colby1979 wrote:That sounds like a nice setup and is in my price range. When you get some pics cand you send them to ocotillo_outfitting at h0tma1l d0t c0m? By any chance will you be in the Port A area in the end of August?
Will definitely send you some pics. Unfortunately though, I don't have any plans to head to Port A.
colby1979

Post by colby1979 »

rsdroid wrote:
colby1979 wrote: Anyone paddled or have any opinions on the Moken 10 lite?
I just got a 10 lite and I'm loving it. However, it's my first yak, and I've only paddled a few others, so not much to compare to, but so far I think it paddles very well. Have had it out twice a week since I got and it's super easy to maneuver in and out of the water. I don't think it's too slow, especially as my paddling technique gets better, but I'm sure there's faster yaks.

I'm a petite, athletic female, so being able to load it and handle it by myself was important and it's been very easy, although I'm loading it into a truck bed, not racking it. The wheel in the keel definitely helps, but it works best with both hands on the handle to keep it balanced.

Most of my fishing is freshwater, but I do plan to take it in the bays on the coast. May even experiment with it just off the beach one day. As I learn it and as my paddling technique gets better, should just be easier and easier. Can already turn it on a dime and easily keep up with and pass my friend in his regular Moken 10.
Thanks for the review, sounds like its working out well and along the lines of what im looking for. I think ive pretty much decided on the moken lite unless I can find a good deal on viking profish lite.