New to Me Kayak

Timemachine

New to Me Kayak

Post by Timemachine »

Came across.... Wait, Hi Everybody. I have not posted in years. Been running around in a 19 foot Center Console. Last week that changed. I came across a nice Pelican 11'6 Castaway. While not a very fancy yak, it suites me well. I added a new seat with pouch of the back, rod holders behind the seat, new bungy cords, anchor trolley, Magellan Fish bag on the bow and lots of new tie off spots. Still need to cut a hole for my 6" diameter storage bag. Pelican provides a molded in flat for it behind the seat.

Tomorrow (Saturday June 24) I am headed down to St Marys Bayou area in East Matagorda. Hoping to put my first red in the yak but I suck at fishing so we shall see.

What I AM good at is duck hunting. This is MY PASSION. I mainly got the yak to do more duck hunting that does not require taking the big boat.

Hoping i can bring you a good report on Sunday and some action shots of the new yak.

BTW, I had a sticker sighting at 290 and Huffmeister in the Cypress area. White pick up.
Cityfisher

Re: New to Me Kayak

Post by Cityfisher »

Welcome back to 2017!
I have not fished East Matty before but have always wanted to. I went beach camping with my family earlier this year and scoped out that St Mary's launch spot while I was there though. From what I hear it is supposed to be a great area for redfish. One day I'll get out there for some fishing.
Just tie on a soft plastic paddle tail or a gold spoon and have at it. Your bound to catch a founder or red with it.
Good luck and post up your report in the fishing section when you get back.
Timemachine

Re: New to Me Kayak

Post by Timemachine »

all in all I am pretty happy with the kayak. I know there are others that track and perform better but for me it will do just fine. I hit Easy Matagorda this morning. And while my reputation as a lousy fisherman is still intact, I did scout some nice duck hunting places for the upcoming season.