Electric Bilge Pump

Boxermaniac98

Electric Bilge Pump

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

I have done the search but did not have the "magic words" to locate, so please bare with me.
I am looking to install a bilge pump in the front of my PA-14, at the point where it is too narrow for the standard pump. So my thought is to configure some tubing to lay in the narrow space to get most of the water out. Because water drains to that area mostly it can pump from this point always. Anyone have any good suggestions? I want to use an automatic so it will start pumping the minute I turtle. once the yak is righted I don't have to worry about quickly getting in and removing the front tub and began the bailing process. Normal pumps will leave about an inch of water in the hull and I would like to remove as much as possible with out unloading the front end and completing the manual process.
Boxermaniac98

Re: Electric Bilge Pump

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

anyone have any experience with the Whale pump?

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/produc ... art-Family
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have to ask, do you get a lot of water in your yak from normal use? If you do then I would look at sealing the leaks first and then think about a bilge as last resort. If you turtle your electronics may be fried anyway so the pump helping you out is moot.
I recently fixed a rear hatch leak on my Hobie PA 14 by buying a new hatch (from another kayaker selling his unused one on this site). No more leak. If I get more water I use my manual bilge which I store UNDER my front hatch bucket. I hardly ever carry anything in the hatch if I BTB but in bay and choppy conditions I load it halfway but not enough to not be able to access the pump under the bucket. I pulled my bucket out once and put it in the water and it floated with all my gear! You have to test out new ideas in the water so you know.
Most any water that gets in comes from hitting waves BTB and coming over edge of bucket when front end submerges in waves. I bought and added more of the rubber gasket from ACK and lined my hatch so I do not get as much as I used to but still get a about quart to half gallon from 2' waves and swells all day.
But as for the leaks get them fixed first.
Boxermaniac98

Re: RE: Re: Electric Bilge Pump

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

kickingback wrote:I have to ask, do you get a lot of water in your yak from normal use? If you do then I would look at sealing the leaks first and then think about a bilge as last resort. If you turtle your electronics may be fried anyway so the pump helping you out is moot.
I recently fixed a rear hatch leak on my Hobie PA 14 by buying a new hatch (from another kayaker selling his unused one on this site). No more leak. If I get more water I use my manual bilge which I store UNDER my front hatch bucket. I hardly ever carry anything in the hatch if I BTB but in bay and choppy conditions I load it halfway but not enough to not be able to access the pump under the bucket. I pulled my bucket out once and put it in the water and it floated with all my gear! You have to test out new ideas in the water so you know.
Most any water that gets in comes from hitting waves BTB and coming over edge of bucket when front end submerges in waves. I bought and added more of the rubber gasket from ACK and lined my hatch so I do not get as much as I used to but still get a about quart to half gallon from 2' waves and swells all day.
But as for the leaks get them fixed first.
I want this for turtling, I would hope that the electronics aren't shot just because of turtling after all they sell these knowing the are going on a kayak. I am a big guy and once I right the kayak I would like the pump to immediately start to to move the water. I enter from the front, in choppy conditions it may take longer to right the kayak, meaning more water in the front hatch bowl and in the hull. Having the hatch open to manually pump out water can cause more water to get in do, leaving the hatch closed for a bit allowing the bilge to remove the water in the hull before opening to empty the bowl only makes life safer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Sounds logical to me. I was thinking of the wiring to the battery getting wet if stowed under deck but as long as you have the wires fully protected from any salt water and spare fuses I guess you'll be OK. Good luck I hope you find a good solution.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

you can reduce the overall amount of water you need to bilge by adding marine inflation pour foam in the hatches and areas you dont use for storage, etc. Pool noodles work well as a temporary fix for this
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

@mobyyack, have you done this? If so can you give some details

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

Yes I have foamed a kayak using two part flotation foam from a company in Florida called us composites. Simply mix the two parts for thirty second and pour. Best done in hot conditions

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

Search this website for two part polyurethane flotation foam and you'll find pics of the finished product at the end of the thread

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk