Saddle vs j cradle on roofrack

Volkswatson

Saddle vs j cradle on roofrack

Post by Volkswatson »

So I need to transport my OK Malibu 2 over 400 miles on an older Toyota.

Here's my take:
1 - j cradle is easier for loading yak, easier on the wallet, but I'm wondering about strength, durability, & safety.
2 - saddle brackets seem more stable, but costs more.

I'm looking at the cheaper versions on amazon, not Thule or Yakima. If anyone has any experience with these, let me know?
Endo

Re: Saddle vs j cradle on roofrack

Post by Endo »

Hard to visualize what you're dealing with without pics.

For what its worth, for many many years and thousands of miles, I transported my kayak just turned upside down on my roof rack. I used both the stock rack that my truck came with and I later used two painted 2x4 crossbeams to add a bit more platform.

So I used neither cradle or saddle and worked fine.

Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

Hey,
I've used the foam blocks for this trip before, and I typically have to stop and readjust every few hours...

My car is pretty small & low to the ground, so I'm just trying to figure the best way to transport. I hate using the foam blocks and want something a little easier to get the yak on and off.
Endo

Post by Endo »

For what reason are you using foam blocks? All I've ever used as a buffer between my yak and the roof rack is indoor/outdoor carpet. I just wrapped and glued down a layer of carpet over the rack cross-bars, then lashed the yak down. Again, I flip my yak upside down to have a relatively flat even surface between the rack and the kayak, so it rides nice.