Getting older - need some help

Michael Meyer

Getting older - need some help

Post by Michael Meyer »

I am 68 and my wife is 64. We became addicted to this obsession about 3 years ago. We both have Ride 115s and we carry them on a Malone MicroSport trailers with Malone Sea Wings. It is becoming harder to load them onto the trailer. I am thinking about putting a winch on the trailer. I think that would help, but we would still need to lift up the bow to get the loading started. I have also thought about building my own trailer and set the kayaks much closer to the ground, but I am not certain if that would be good for the kayaks. Wilderness Systems makes a very light kayak, but I am not sure how it would stand up to fishing in the flats (e.g., oysters shells). Does anyone out there have any suggestions? We would hate to have to give up this obsession.
castin4fish

Re: Getting older - need some help

Post by castin4fish »

I have the same problem or lets say I had the same problem. Its simple but it will take two people. I use a PVC channel drain I bought from Home Depot. Its made of heavy PVC so it won't collapse. I cut it to my needs since a full length is 8'. I set an end on my extender or tailgate, line the kayak hull upon the channel and winch. The kayak will want to fall over so thats why you need tow people. One to winch and the other to keep the kayak guiding on the channel. I actually bought a remote control winch from Harbor Freight which I use to pull. I have it mounted on a crossbar behind my cab. Works really well and its simple. Once you get the kayaks up you just set your trough in the bed and its done. Hope this helps. I would hate to see someone loose their passion for kayaking because of loosing the ability to load. Unfortunately I'm out of town otherwise I would post a demo.
Last edited by castin4fish on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Since u already have the Malone trailer and sea wing s get you the Malone Telos load assist , easy peasy

Let's go fishin Coco!
Z-man
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

So sorry to hear age is creeping up on you fast, at least faster than I as I too am feeing all the pain of getting old.
I use a trailer and a long rope and back the trailer all the way in water and use rope to "guide" the kayak into the pvc cradle I have for it. I have a Hobie PA14 and after a long day of fishing it can get a bit heavy even for me. The trailer solves this.
I suggest you get a "special or custom" made trailer to assist you in loading. You will only get older and the easier you make it now the better later for you and the wife.
Try to get a regular non rusting trailer (aluminum or galvanized and treated well) and get two sets of PVC cradles to have the kayaks sit on and guide into on the trailer. Hve them make twin bow winches to let you use the winch to bring the kayaks onto trailer into the PVC cradles.
Do a search for YouTube videos for double kayak trailers or search images of twin kayak trailers in Google and you will find some ideas. Get the best now so you don't have to worry later again. My opinion only. Good luck and let us know how you do.
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

This is the channel I was mentioning.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

You might try using 8' 1x6 boards up on edge with carpet glued & stapled on the upper edges (bunks). The yaks slide on and off easily and are fully supported. You can strap them down to the bunks wherever you like. Much easier to load and unload, better support for the boats, and easy to tie down. Not familiar with the Ride 115 hull, but the various sets of bunks I have built have all been spaced at 15" to 18", and have accommodated all of mine and my friends' kayaks quite well. I have found over the years that cutting some slots (1" X 1")at the bottoms of the bunks for the straps helps keep them from shifting on long hauls. I have hauled my yaks to the Florida Keys on this setup.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Michael, your profile doesn't show your location, but if you are near me I'll be glad to build the bunks and install them for you. You buy the materials, and a cold beer will cover the labor. I have all of the tools and equipment needed right here. I can weld carbon steel, stainless, or aluminum, and the only issue will be working it into the schedule (I work weekends).
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

The Ride 115 weighs 76 lbs. They can also look for smaller or lighter kayaks in the 50 lb range. The Native Ultimate 12 is a SINK that weighs only 49 lbs. The Viking Profish 400 is a SOT that weighs only 57 lbs. Thermoformed yaks are lighter than the rotomolded ones, and Hurricane, Necky, Old Town, and others have kayaks in the 45-55 lb range.