Trailer for limited storage space

SaltStrong

Trailer for limited storage space

Post by SaltStrong »

All
I've been reading through the various trailer setups everyone has, and I'm looking for the best trailer for using around saltwater that can either be stored on its side against the wall (16' usable limit) or vertically (9' limit and wife's preference) in front of my car in a single car garage. What are yalls thoughts on what trailers to look into for this? I'd like to keep it under $900. One Wilderness Ride 115X and a basic Future Beach 10' for my wife will be used on it.

A couple of ones I've considered are:

Magic Tilt KA0010 - Maybe possible if the folding tongue could be put far enough back.
Continental EC2K12 - Similar thing
Malone Microsport - Pretty good solution minus the price
Right-On Trailer Ruff-Sport - Will this thing last more than a couple years?

Thoughts?
Tallgrass07

Re: Trailer for limited storage space

Post by Tallgrass07 »

I've had a Malone Microsport for almost three years and am very happy with it. I got the retractible tongue, spare tire, and kickstand. Plus the wider 78" bars to carry two kayaks. The 12" wheels and sealed bearings are a plus. I can stand it upright in my garage and still get my truck in with room to spare. It's more than you want to spend, though.

I've seen people adapt cheap Harbor Freight trailers, but I don't know how they would handle a salt environment.
Attachments
trailer1.jpg
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

I know it's a bit late, but I just saw this thread. I don't know where you are, so this may be a wasted post, but if you are in the area (I live 4 miles off of 59 in Montgomery County) and you have a trailer that meets all of the criteria other than length, I can help. We can cut the tongue and weld on one of several different types of swivel or QD takedowns; it's your choice. I can weld carbon steel, stainless, or aluminum. You buy the materials / parts and I will do the cutting and welding. We can go with a prefabbed unit or make one up ourslves (I was a fabricator in my previous life). No charge, but if you bring a sixpack of cold Bud or Carta Blanca (light beer will get you shot over here) I won't turn down a cold one or two (after the welding, LOL). The only issue will be working it into my schedule, but we can probably get something figured out. I'm normally off on Mon/Tue, but I will be bouncing that around while school is out, just so the crooks don't get too comfortable with my schedule. Let me know if you're interested.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Tallgrass07 wrote:I've had a Malone Microsport for almost three years and am very happy with it. I got the retractible tongue, spare tire, and kickstand. Plus the wider 78" bars to carry two kayaks. The 12" wheels and sealed bearings are a plus. I can stand it upright in my garage and still get my truck in with room to spare. It's more than you want to spend, though.

I've seen people adapt cheap Harbor Freight trailers, but I don't know how they would handle a salt environment.
Yeah, I went the HF route and am kicking myself in the butt everyday I look at the trailer now with all the rust on it. I have seen people buy these and spray them down completely with a rubber sealant but do not know how well that stands up to salt still. If you do the HF trailer either rust proof it yourself for an extra $50-$100 or pay someone to do it. Well worth the investment. I bought my trailer last year in August and it will need to be replaced in about 6 months I am afraid. I will go galvanized next trailer or get any trailer I buy rust proofed twice over!
SaltStrong

Post by SaltStrong »

Finally made my decision and went with a Wesco kayak trailer. It has a 12 foot removable tongue and can be upgraded to have a second level of kayaks for just shy of a couple bills. Image
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

good-looking trailer.
Your photo looks like the same one that was listed used for $1100 - good price.

Since my buddy has a nice Malone and I have photos from our trips, I'll throw it up here.
Heading out to Rockport
S. Padre convention center