Repair to Kayak

WhiteRice

Repair to Kayak

Post by WhiteRice »

I recently posted on our FB page about the leak my wife's kayak had on its first time in the water. I have since come to a conclusion with the manufacturer for a full refund. The only catch is that they want me to send them the serial number cut out from the hull. They emphasized that a piece of the hull (approx 1" x 3") must accompany the serial number tag when it is sent to them. I understand the "WHY" behind this request but could this cutout be repaired with plastic welding? The section I must cut out is just above the rear anchor trolley pulley but it will not include my cutting into the weld where the hull meets the top. There is however a molded seam where this will be cut away that is simply part of the shape of the top. I will try to post a pic of the area in question BEFORE I make the cut out. Thanks in advance.
Tallgrass07

Re: Repair to Kayak

Post by Tallgrass07 »

I had a similar situation and had to cut out the serial number on the stern. I did a very careful cutting job. Then I measured the opening in the hull and cut a matching plug out of a plastic cutting board my wife did not know I appropriated. I held it in place with tape on the outer side of the hull and used plenty of 3M marine sealant in the inner side of the hull. Once the sealant cured, I plastic welded the tiny gap around the plug on the outer side of the hull. Five years later and nary a leak.

The cutting off of the bow and reattaching it is another story.
WhiteRice

Re: Repair to Kayak

Post by WhiteRice »

I like it! Luckily I have access to the interior of the hole near where the cut will be from a factory hacth