Rudders

Littlebear

Rudders

Post by Littlebear »

Went to the fishing show at GRB last weekend and looked at several peddle kayaks. One, I think it was the Native Slayer, had a rudder built in, under the stern. The others had the retractable rudders that fold up with the pull of a lever. I really liked the Native but am concerned about that rudder especially when launching and loading in and out. It can't be retracted. The saleman said to pull it from the water stern first.... Does anyone have any experience with this boat or rudder type? Thanks in advance for any insight!
seaaggie_99

Re: Rudders

Post by seaaggie_99 »

I don't know about the Native but on my PA14, the rudder when fully retracted, sits above the profile of the hull and is protected (assuming you're on a flat surface).
jwmeadow

Re: Rudders

Post by jwmeadow »

My dad has a Slayer and his only complaint is the rudder. He is in Florida and has run into areas where the rudder digs in the sand and he has been stuck, having to lift it out. Other folks have had problems with the Native rudder wires breaking when the rudder jams. Personally, I like the idea of a kick up rudder that gets out of the way when you don't need it.