TRAILER Rigging

WhiteRice

TRAILER Rigging

Post by WhiteRice »

I know that this is the KAYAK RIGGING section but my question is about a kayak trailer.

I am about to purchase and convert a 4x6 utility trailer to transport both of my kayaks and gear but does anyone know of a local retailer that will sell tongue extensions and other trailer accessories. Eastern Marine and eTrailer have what I am looking for but both involve some fairly substantial shipping considering the weight of the products.

I am looking for an 8ft, removable tongue, uprights and cross bars. Tractor Supply Co. has parts but nothing on their site that fits what I need. Just wanted to see if anyone in the Houston area has built a trailer specific for kayaks and was able to utilize a retailer for trailer specific parts rather than making 30 trips to Depot or Lowes to "make something work". Thanks in advance.
Cigarsnjeeps

Re: TRAILER Rigging

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Local steel supplier should have square tubing in whatever length you need, but you would have to replace your existing tongue with that and depending on your trailer, that might not be feasible of it is all welded together.

For uprights and cross bars, you could easily build your own using uni-strut that you can pickup at Lowe's or Home Depot.

If you aren't familiar with uni-strut its steel channel that comes in different dimensions and lots of different adapter plates, etc (think erector set).

Just some thoughts. May not be what you are looking for.

Unistrut channel

@cigarsnjeeps on IG and Twitter
WhiteRice

Post by WhiteRice »

Thanks CigarsNJeeps. I am familiar with UniStrut and like the idea of how easy it would be to attach something to the existing trailer. I am however looking to install one of the uprights on the tongue itself considering the trailer bed is only 6ft long. The kayaks are 12ft and I would prefer them to not hang off the back of the trailer more than 1ft. I would like an upright that I can bolts to the tongue and remove when not needed. The good thing is that the existing tongue on the trailer (5ft) is bolted on so I will be able to switch back and forth and use the trailer as a basic utility trailer if I am not hauling the yaks.

I have been able to price out a few extended 2x3 tongues but was hoping to find something local in the 9ft - 10ft range. This will be an ongoing project since I need to build this "right". I will be taking the yaks and other gear from here to our vacation spot in FL twice a year. Just need to make it as road worthy as possible
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Have you looked up any local metal or welding shops near you? You would be surprised how little they charge for quality work like that. They can weld it with parts they have on hand and paint it for you. I had them add another 4' section to my tongue. Basically had them take the one off that came with it and add one 4' longer. Moved the hitch and everything for only $50. Asked him if he did any aluminum welding and if he could work on my old jon boat to fix a few leaks and structure issues. He said sure and to bring it by anytime.
Check around, you may get a good deal and find a good shop to use more often.