Transducers

dwayne

Transducers

Post by dwayne »

I have an in hull mount transducer but of course not getting good readings on temp or structure. So last night I bought a new Lowrance Hook 4 on clearance at Academy and I'm looking to change the transducer location. What are your thoughts on scupper mount vs over the side mount. I see benefit in both and negative in both, but never personally used either. What's your thoughts?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
TigerLandSportsman

Re: Transducers

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

I'm over the side. I go in to many shallow places, with debris, to have it underneath.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have a small transducer on my Ascend through scupper. I bought the store brand scupper mount and it works fine as the transducer is narrow and fits in the scupper and channel enough to not rub bottom. A larger transducer would not work.
On my Hobie I use an over the side Scotty track rail mount to easily remove when done. It would not fit in the scupper channel without rubbing bottom. I also have side imaging so over the side lets me get a good signal to read and I can easily twist the transducer 90 degrees and I can see what's coming up in front of me with the side image pointing forward and backward instead of left and right. Works great at times like when you want to fish structure and make sure you are holding to it facing it and casting to it from a distance.
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

Used the Ram ball mount with the over the side with my Native Mariner 13.5 and a Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp worked great.
I had it installed inside the yak located close to the middle and had the same frustrations, not near the signal clarity as I had when it was over the side.

I am going to purchase the Elite 7 TI and after what Kicking back stated about turning it 90 I just may not use the Hobie transducer location just so I can view front and back when I want.

ACK has the ball mount for around $30 bucks I think it was. Good luck and tight lines.