Rigging a Prowler 13 Angler?

mainbutter

Rigging a Prowler 13 Angler?

Post by mainbutter »

Short version: How do I rig a prowler 13 angler for salt water fishing?

Longer version:

I moved out to the DC area and had to leave my canoes behind back in Minnesota. I've decided to take the opportunity and chase species that aren't available back home, and do it in a fishing kayak. I have a pretty short drive to the potomac river system and chesapeake bay for day fishing, various spots on the Atlantic for weekends. I have a prowler 13 that will be mine to use while we are out here coming my way, and I get to rig it. While not new to paddling, I'm definitely new to rigging that goes with kayaks. With my canoes, I could just toss all my equipment in a disorganized fashion into the middle, and tie a rope anchor at the bow SOT kayaks seem to be a bit more specialized with custom rigging options. Heck, I didn't even use rod holders in my canoes. I had some acquaintances that suggested I check out this forum, because it is probably one of the larger groups of kayak fisher people, even if I won't be fishing Texas any time soon.

I don't need ALL the bells and whistles with zillions of rods and a dozen tackle boxes, but I'm pretty sure that I'll make good use of:
- rod holders
- a modest amount of artifical lure and tackle storage + release tools
- a sonar, and possibly GPS
- ability to anchor
- tie downs/leashes to keep equipment safe if something unfortunate were to happen.
- Some way to keep live bait, even if it's just a cooler and cheap battery powered air pump + air stone

PFD, paddles, and small amount of safety precations are pretty much accounted for already - but I'm always open to thoughts in that regard

P.S. I tend to C&R fish with pictures as my "trophies". On calm lakes, honestly I just used my phone. In bigger water, water damage is a bigger concern. Any thoughts on inexpensive ways to capture photos of catches, but not be terribly at risk of destroying electronics? Not sure if I want to buy a gopro to just take fish pictures, but I'm interested how others grab a quick release pic.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Re: Rigging a Prowler 13 Angler?

Post by Z~MAN »

Wow that's a lot of info for just one thread

Start with a milk crate and put what u want to carry in it

Then search milk crate set up and you will find lots of versions

I keep 2 Plano boxes anchor, pliers/hookouts im there and I added two yak attack rode holders and strap it down.

Keep it simple ur first time and u will learn where to add other stuff as u go out.

As far as electronics go I don't use them as I fish shallow water under 2ft.
I do carry a gps on me

Camera I got some go pros and an Olympus tough for photos and video both water proof too 300ft

Let's go fishin.....Coco
Z-man
andya415

Re: Rigging a Prowler 13 Angler?

Post by andya415 »

I'm curious about this question as well particularly with ocean fishing and must have safety equipment. Any sudgestions on what you guys take out besides wearing a life jacket?