Co-pilot Knife.. On your PFD ..

1212hammer

Co-pilot Knife.. On your PFD ..

Post by 1212hammer »

https://youtu.be/PIpjIjYBGaA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm glad I have this knife now for saftey..
Anyone else have a knife on there PFD???
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Co-pilot Knife.. On your PFD ..

Post by kickingback »

Always...
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Nice set up... I have a buck folding knife in a pocket on my PFD.... Takes a little longer to get to, but I try to stay out of harms way... Ha
1212hammer

Post by 1212hammer »

The yellow ? Is it a light and compass??
What's it call I would to maybe get one
RunninKurt

Post by RunninKurt »

kickingback wrote:Always...
Ive got the same PFD, what did you do with the excess from the shoulder straps? Mine are about 10" too long...
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

1212hammer wrote:The yellow ? Is it a light and compass??
What's it call I would to maybe get one
I looks like a,personal locator light (strobe)

Z-man
1212hammer

Post by 1212hammer »

O ya I think your right ..Thanks
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yes, it is a locator beacon that auto activates in water in case I pass out or fall out somehow and cannot respond. I want someone to find my body. I don't like to be fish food. Never know.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Yes, I have knives on all PFDs for me and family members. I have had to use them on a couple of occasions on rivers to cut wrapped lines in a rapid fashion. Of course they come in handy just to have around camp also. I do have the NRS co-pilot knife but have removed it a put it away. I use exclusively the Gerber River Shorty. The NRS is problematic getting it out and securely back in and the blade is just not that sharp and the alloy they use does not hold well in salt water. The River Shorty is easy, quick to remove and secure back and the stainless alloy holds better in the salt. Also, Gerber will replace the knife if it falls out of the sheath. They use to make both pointed tip and blunt tips but now only make the blunt but if you look hard you can still find the pointed tips.

To each his own but that is my preference because most of the time when you need it seconds matter.

Earl
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That's good advice. Mine comes out very easily even with the extra velcro strap around it from my PFD. It "clicks" in place and "clicks" out just as easy. I have had to use it once to cut my anchor line in bad weather and the ease of it being right there and always available I didn't even really think about it. I just grabbed it and cut and tossed it down on my deck until I got out of danger. I put it back and thought about how I didn't even have to "think" about the knife and it being there. I see it every time I put my PFD on and it is in my peripheral view at all times.
Mine is a Gerber River Shorty Knife. Got it here...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

I've attached a knife and sheath (from Academy) to my Kokatat vest using zip ties. It's really handy and easily snaps back into the sheath. Also added a small bungee cord which gives me more versatility (Can wrap it around my hand if needed. Also can loop it over the top of the sheath to more permanently keep the knife in place). Simple, safe and provides quick access when needed. I do wash and sharpen it occasionally (bringing this up because it is easy to forget to clean the knife as it stays attached to the vest and is easy to overlook).
Kokatat with Knife.jpg
Rockclimber

Post by Rockclimber »

Knife in one pocket of the PDF, whistle in the other pocket.
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

Good macgyverizing there! I've been playing with the idea of using a bait knife too, but I was afraid it will fall from its sheath.
Drifting Yak wrote:I've attached a knife and sheath (from Academy) to my Kokatat vest using zip ties. It's really handy and easily snaps back into the sheath. Also added a small bungee cord which gives me more versatility (Can wrap it around my hand if needed. Also can loop it over the top of the sheath to more permanently keep the knife in place). Simple, safe and provides quick access when needed. I do wash and sharpen it occasionally (bringing this up because it is easy to forget to clean the knife as it stays attached to the vest and is easy to overlook).
Kokatat with Knife.jpg
Fishwarrior007

Post by Fishwarrior007 »

:D
Endo

Post by Endo »

Keep a knife in the pocket. Not as quickly accessible, but after losing a couple already mounted like the ones pictured here, it is a compromise that works for me.

Both of the mounting options pictured here are well enough for shallow water use (although that yellow PFD looks kind of dangerous), but if you ever go overboard in deep water (think BTB), you will quickly lose those knives as you get back into your kayak. Anything hanging from your PDF can get tangled or snagged in your rigging or just the side of your yak as you seal-slide back into your kayak. They'll flip out of their sheaths and you'll lose them. Can actually cause complications and impeded your progress on getting back into your yak.

So now I keep some of that stuff in pockets rather attached externally to the PFD. But I think it is probably only an issue if you fish in water over your head and in situations where flipping or falling out of your yak are realistic concerns.

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Very good points Endo.

I have experienced re-entry with the yellow PFD as pictured and the knife can get in the way. I've had to remove it while trying to get back in my yak (first noticed this when practicing re-entry in my pool).

And, as for the knife coming out of the sheath, it actually stays in place very well and I've never had it come out of the sheath. Most of the time it rides just as you see it in the pic. But I also take precautions from time to time by flipping the bungee cord over the top of the sheath (which locks the knife it in place).

Thanks for bringing this up!
Last edited by Drifting Yak on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The H-1 steel used in Spyderco Salt blades is the only knife blade steel I've seen that will actually stand up to salt use.
Shaun Russell

Post by Shaun Russell »

I like the looks of this knife a lot. However to have it attached to my vest if I was trying to save someone from drowning could be dangerous.