Any consensus on GPS Fishfinders?

WC53

Any consensus on GPS Fishfinders?

Post by WC53 »

Looking to add a gps fishfinder for tidal creeks and marshes. Probably a 5/7 inch screen as I'm old and can't see :D

Just looking to see what works for folks in the wet environment. I have a Simrad GO7xse in my boat.

Thanks!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Any consensus on GPS Fishfinders?

Post by kickingback »

Not sure if you want compatibility with your Simrad GO7xse or not. Will it be for a yak? Will you only spend time with it in the marsh and creeks?
I ask becasue I have a Humminbird 899 for my jon and a Helix 5 SI for my yak. Since I mounted my sonar on my seat I can see the 5" screen well and zoom if needed for more clarity. I like that I spend about 35% of my time in deeper water and the side imaging helps me see things out to the side I would have missed. AS structure is important to most fish it helps in locating something different on the bottom that may attract fish.
I asked about compatibility so you can share marked waypoints between the two if you use two water craft. The HD transducer works for both also so i can switch out units and take the bigger 899 on my yak if I want.
The Helix 5 can be found for around $350-$400 but get the HD transducer (call Humminbird and buy the replacement and do not open the boxed transducer and send it to Humminbird in exchange for the new HD transducer and about $80). The HD makes the images stand out more.
The next step up the the Helix 7 with a bigger unit and 7" screen. But in a yak where space is limited the bigger screen could get in the way of landing big fish or your rods or what if you flip? Make sure it can dunk in water and survive.
Hope this is what you were looking for.
WC53

Post by WC53 »

Thank you. Clarity is not my strong suit....

Yes for a kayak. Jackson Big Tuna. And I usually am in the creeks with it and not offshore. We average about a 5-6' tidal change.

Your comments on the side scan usefulness in shallow were along my questions/thoughts on the topic and helpful. I don't require compatibility between the two, but it could be nice, even though I think I would be too chicken to take the boat near where I take the yak! Lots of oysters to weave between:) so the shared waypoints would be few.

Thanks for the comments
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Garmin echomap 74sv
quigly7777

Post by quigly7777 »

Interested in this also, my use will be bass, maybe crappie, never have done any crappie and been a while since I have done any fishing. Have a FeelFree Lure 11.5 I am rigging out and planning to mount on the sonar pod. Been considering Garmin 5 DI with GPS and also similar Lowrance and Humminbird. Just no decision yet. Hoping to stay below $300, but may go over if the capabilities warrant it.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you just need a good down image for cheap and works well the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI with chirp would suffice as you don't need any side imaging. They are going for about $160.
Someone else needs to chime in for more info if possible.
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

quigly7777 wrote:Interested in this also, my use will be bass, maybe crappie, never have done any crappie and been a while since I have done any fishing. Have a FeelFree Lure 11.5 I am rigging out and planning to mount on the sonar pod. Been considering Garmin 5 DI with GPS and also similar Lowrance and Humminbird. Just no decision yet. Hoping to stay below $300, but may go over if the capabilities warrant it.
SI will help you find beds off to the side.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

You could just buy an extra transducer and put it in the kayak, so you can interchange your unit from your boat to your yak whenever you want. You'll save $$ and still get to use your GO7xse which already has all the features.
Killer Squirrel

Post by Killer Squirrel »

I just got a Helix 5 SI G2 with gps and chirp, I am still getting it rigged up to the yak. This will be my first fish finder so I may hit some of you up on tips, especially related to kayak fishing. I hope to have it all ready to try out this sat weather permitting.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

the bobber or deeper fishfinders aer easty and convenient (thats what i use) but im wanting side scan...just trust me, a crushed cone is no way to find fish
WC53

Post by WC53 »

I did look at moving the head unit between boats, but the total scan transducer is $299.00 and the n another 40 for the power connector and cable. Was just at Gander looking at some close out units. The HB698 looked nice until I read some of the stuff on their base maps.....the simrad basemaps (insight) are pretty good and I doubt anyone will have contour maps where I will be going...

Still undecided. Garmen tech support severely annoyed me a few years back (hence Simrad on boat) and it would have to be a screaming deal to go back to them.